Supporting Power Conversion offshore projects globally
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The Finance team made the placement year very enjoyable and I was given a good insight to the projects within Power Conversion
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very valuable in my team, a lot of work is given to me to help support the day to day financial needs of the business. Not only by my team but other project managers globally valued my work.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
At the beginning I was given a lot of support by the previous interns and then throughout the placement there was always people around to ask for help/guidance. My manager was fairly busy so putting in a meeting in their calendar was the bests way to get help.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Working in Finance towards the end of the month/quarter/year was very busy compared to the start of the month
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Interns are relied on heavily for day to day needs so my work was always meaningful and quite repetitive.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My skills will be useful in working in the office environment in the future, such as learning best how to communicate with people and to host meetings etc. It terms of my degree there was no relation at all despite studying Finance.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office is very relaxed, where you can talk and laugh but when it comes down to work everyone works very hard.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Overall the internship wasn't organised, it was meant to be a rotational role but I stayed in the same position throughout the year, there was a volunteering project started but we wasnt given enough time to carry it out properly.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Little training and personal development in the placement year. There was no reviews of my performance or feedback given.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The graduate scheme here looks very competitive and I have been given a lot of information and insight into the scheme by a former FMP but I dont think it is my ideal career route.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I did not live in Rugby with the rest of the interns, from their feedback there wasnt a social scene at all.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I commuted from Coventry so travelling by train was only a 10 minute journey costing around £100 a month for tickets.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Poor and not recommendable in Rugby, Coventry is a bit better as there are university students.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
None except the volunteering project and the STEM programmes at the local schools for the engineers