Liaising with affiliates to register DePuy CMW products in the respected country
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at DePuy CMW. I have developed a range of skills that will no doubt help me in my future en devours. I have also learned a lot about orthopaedics, which will help me tremendously in my final year of University. It feels like I just started here yesterday in CMW and I believe that speaks 1000 words for itself.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
During my time at CMW ,I never felt undervalued by my colleagues. Since day 1 I felt like I had always been apart of the team and never treated any differently. My colleagues where always gracious for whatever work I may have completed on their behalf, but I never felt that I was just the placement student who was given all the horrible jobs to do.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Since day 1 , everyone has been so helpful and willing to answer my often daft questions. I never felt that I couldn't reach out to someone for help. My manager, despite being off site emails or instant messages for daily checkups. We also have weekly calls over webex to iron out any questions I may have,
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Day to day I had the perfect amount of work to complete . I never felt like days where I had nothing to do, or days where I had too much to do. I often supported other business units who where struggling with their workloads. This was a great experience as it allowed me to see the aspects of different sites and even different fractions of DePuy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
During my time here I was given the perfect balance of help as well as free reign. At no point during my time here did I feel like I was left to drown, with no one their to help. On the other hand I wasn't constantly shadowed and made to feel incompetent.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have definitely developed skills that have made me highly employable going forward, Skills such as communication, team working and time keeping are exercised everyday. Working with affiliates from a range of different countries, whose first language is not English has allowed me to develop a more thoughtful way on how I communicate.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was pretty much the best of both worlds. Generally it was a quiet and calm area that allowed for work to be down. This atmosphere has developed without enforcement. On the other hand it is always a place with laughs and funny stories, Often people would bring in treats that where for everyone to eat and enjoy.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
My placement experience from start to finish was very well organised, On my first day I got a complete introduction to the company. This helped me establish where I was at in regards to working for this company. Within my first few months I was assigned a mentor as such to teach my applications and processes. My PDP I had to do for University was met consistently due to how well organised it was,
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
After completing my placement year I feel like I would really enjoy a career with J n J. I have developed so many new skills and strengthen old ones in the course of a year that I feel a full time job would only enhance this. Unlike other big companies, J n J treats their employees with respect and appreciates there dedication to the company. I feel as a full time job it would be a happy place to work.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There where a few outside activities that were scheduled for after work. However due to other commitments I was unable to attend them. I feel that maybe if more relaxed activities where done it may attract a wider range of people. Generally after a work day or work week people are tired and would rather a more chilled out activity as opposed to sports.