1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Thoroughly enjoyed my time with the company, lots of responsibility, plenty of benefits and schemes to become involved in and a fantastic group of people.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Was very lucky to be placed in an amazing small team of which I instantly felt welcome.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Support from my manager couldn't have been better during my time at L'Oreal. Weekly team and individual catch ups helped me address any issues and discuss plans going forward. I was always encouraged to push
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
This varied greatly over the month and year, due to the nature of finance there were certain times over month/quarter end where the workload was massive and there were tight deadlines to work to. But aside from that, for the majority of days the workload was fairly constant.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
My placement has been more like a full time role - after a few weeks of handover and training nearly all of my daily tasks and projects were essential to the team but left solely to me, with help given whenever needed. I found this level of trust and responsibility massively beneficial in helping me grow in terms of confidence and ability.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My placement has given me a good grounding in Finance and has allowed me to further develop transferable skills and practice with industry specific software (whether it be everyday Outlook and Excel to more specialized software such as SAP). This biggest thing for me is the confidence gained in the workplace that can be taken forward into future jobs, and is the sort of thing you can only gain with spending time in the industry.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Great team atmosphere in the Wales office, although sometimes very quiet. Everyone was very friendly and supportive, which made living away from home far easier.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The company have a good structure for recruiting and looking after interns on placement. I had several problems initially with trying to get my contract and some other documents through, however this is probably due to stretched resources rather than a problem with the set up. I feel the scheme is catered mainly for those in head office ( which would make sense as the vast majority of interns are there), but I did feel at times there was little thought put into communicating with and including those off site.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There were training sessions available throughout the year for both working and personal development. In addition to this there were public speakers and a wealth of online courses to enroll in.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I will definitely consider applying to work for L'Oreal in future. They have a graduate scheme which can be applied to whilst on placement. There is plenty of room for growth as an individual within the company which is definitely appealing for graduates.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Despite not being able to attend the majority of them, there were frequent social events organised with quite a lot of thought behind them.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Very cheap in South Wales, however this is probably not reflective of the majority of the L'Oreal placements.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Living near Cardiff means there is a fantastic student nightlife, but again this will not be applicable for the majority of placements as most are in Hammersmith.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are various charity and community schemes that come with being part of a global company.