1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The placement was very enjoyable, I preferred the second half to the first half as there was a higher work load. I learnt a lot on the placement. Everyone in my office were very welcoming, nice and friendly, everyone helped each other to complete tasks and there was a good sense of team work. It was a great place to work and gain experience in the industry.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very valued by my colleagues, they were all very welcoming and also helped with any tasks needed. They were also very thoughtful colleagues, and we were rewarded for our hard work and great personalities throughout the year. There was a lot of teamwork involved and this meant there were great social events to attend outside of the office as well.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was very busy with his role but still talked to us through daily morning meetings. I was given a lot of support, you are given a personal tutor when you arrive, who you can have meetings with throughout your placement, you are also offered meetings with your manager, Everyone in the production office I worked in were very helpful and always offered help on tasks etc
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The work load at the beginning of the placement was very low as there were a lot of interns in the department but the work load then increased throughout the year, we were then given much more urgent projects, and suddenly there was a lot of work to do and the days went really quickly
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
We were given a lot of responsibility on the placement by the end of the year, including running meetings with people from outside GE, editing processes for parts, creating manufacturing plans and we were also given the opportunity to think of our own projects to do and work with engineers on these
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The placement will help with the practical side of an engineering course at uni, it will also help with the theory side of the course in manufacturing engineering modules as well as computer aided engineering and design, I learned to use Catia and increased my skills on CAD and on using engineering drawings.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was great, it was also very welcoming. Everyone was friendly. Everyone was helpful. There was a lot of banter and it made the office a great place to work. I really enjoyed working here because of this. Ps - there was total engagement with the spirit and the letter.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was very well set up once i arrived, very well organised, however i applied for a different type of engineering placement to the one i was offered an interview for and heard this happened with a lot of the other interns as well. Other than this it was very well set up.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There were lots of online training programs to take part in, some were compulsory and then optional modules were offered on top of the compulsory ones. We were offered the opportunity to find projects to do on site however these were not always available to take part in for specific branches of engineering.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Working here would be a great place to work, however it is not the exact branch of engineering i want to work in. If manufacturing was the type of engineering I wanted to have my career in it would be a great place to return to work with great people as well.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Between interns on site there were not a lot of social events to attend, there was one event at the very start of the year but this was the only one, however this was not a problem, and there were many good social events to take part in with people from the office.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It was in a really affordable area, you can either live in Hamble which is very close to work or live in Southampton city centre, which is only a half hour drive away and has everything you would ever need a 5 minute walk away which was very enjoyable and helpful.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The night life in Southampton was great, lots of events.Yes there were many many many many opportunities to get involved in both through work events and non work events in southampton. This was very helpful and handy and made the placement even more enjoyable. So overall i enjoyed living in southampton and working in hamble
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes there were many many many many opportunities to get involved in both through work events and non work events in southampton. This was very helpful and handy and made the placement even more enjoyable. So overall i enjoyed living in southampton and working in hamble very very very much.