Responsible for multiple IT projects. Responsible for planning, organizing, leading and controlling the project.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have enjoyed working with GE to the most. It was a tremendous learning experience. Had an opportunity to acquire new skills.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Valuing fellow employees and stake holders are part of the work culture here at GE. As a matter of fact, I have allowed to handle some of the crucial initiatives as a part of the Brilliant Factory project with full autonomy. My work was recognized in all possible ways. Feel happy about it.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
In Ranjith, I had one of the best Managers. He groomed me so well that I was able to handle projects all alone (with less or no intervention) within a short span. We have a daily scrum call to continue the momentum and a monthly personal development meeting. I have received both accolades and constructive feedback from him which helped me a lot to continuously deliver the best.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was involved in a quite a handful of projects. I was also working with stakeholders from various geographies(Singapore, India, UK, US..etc), hence my day was always busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
As I was involved in projects related to Automation and Digitization, I see a bright future. My manager is a detail-oriented person, he trained me in such a way that I give attention to nuances. This certainly helped a lot while performing a research for my dissertation.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was perfectly planned. Right from applying for this position till I joined the organization, The communication from the HR was really great. I was well informed on all the steps of the interview process and all went well as per the schedule.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Although I had learnt a lot during the last 1 year, This is one area where I felt, the company could have done better. I was working in one of the projects where I had no idea what I was doing initially. Through experience, I manged to perform well over a period of time; however, If I had a formal training, I would have performed even better in that project. You do have lot of learning materials available online as well.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
We have a fair chance to apply for Leadership Schemes or one could apply for other roles as well.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Reasonable. You get student discounts too.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?