Medical Affairs Associate at Johnson & Johnson

Leeds Yorkshire and Humberside
Medical/Health

Johnson & Johnson is a Top Employer

7.9/10

I work within DePuy Synthes Joints reconstruction and I work with the franchise medical director and the medical advisors. My role is very varied and is mostly project based but generally consists of assessing the scientific literature in relation to our products or the wider orthopaedic sector this including looking at scientific publications and at national joint registries. A lot of my work involves researching a topic or area and presenting my findings to the team which can then go on to aid decision making or guide surgeon engagement.

I thoroughly enjoyed my placement year, I feel like it has been extremely valuable in gaining insight into what career path I would like to follow and the company has been fantastic in providing opportunities to experience new things and develop my skills.

I feel very valued by my colleagues. They were very welcoming and friendly when I first joined and over time the relationship has strengthened. I also feel like my opinion is valued and respected and I am treated like an employee not a placement student.

I think that I have been given moderate amount of support and guidance. Due to the high level of travelling required within my team, I have been left in the office unsupervised a fair proportion of the time. However, other teams within the office have taken me under their wing and even let me join in on their team days.

My workload fluctuates quite regularly but overall within the first 6 months my workload was moderate and within the last 6 months my workload has been heavier.

I was given progressively more responsibility throughout my placement and have been responsible for some significant projects allowing me to feel like I am making a real contribution to the team.

The skills gain are extremely useful and can be applied to final year of university. For example, literature reviewing skills can be applied to dissertation writing and presentation skills can be applied to final year presentations.

The atmosphere is very friendly and social.

The overall Johnson and Johnson scheme was very organised however the organisation within my department was not as defined and took some teething throughout the year.

I have attended numerous conferences, training courses and courses at the local university,

Very appealing, currently in discussion about the potential of a future job with the company.

I lived with some other placement students and regularly socialized with them outside of work- even going on holiday with them.

It was very reasonable for living within a city.

The nightlife is extremely good as it is a university city.

There were lots of opportunities to get involved with corporate social responsibility.