I work within DePuy Synthes Joints reconstruction and I work with the franchise medical director and the medical advisors. My role is very varied and is mostly project based but generally consists of assessing the scientific literature in relation to our products or the wider orthopaedic sector this including looking at scientific publications and at national joint registries. A lot of my work involves researching a topic or area and presenting my findings to the team which can then go on to aid decision making or guide surgeon engagement.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement year, I feel like it has been extremely valuable in gaining insight into what career path I would like to follow and the company has been fantastic in providing opportunities to experience new things and develop my skills.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I feel very valued by my colleagues. They were very welcoming and friendly when I first joined and over time the relationship has strengthened. I also feel like my opinion is valued and respected and I am treated like an employee not a placement student.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I think that I have been given moderate amount of support and guidance. Due to the high level of travelling required within my team, I have been left in the office unsupervised a fair proportion of the time. However, other teams within the office have taken me under their wing and even let me join in on their team days.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My workload fluctuates quite regularly but overall within the first 6 months my workload was moderate and within the last 6 months my workload has been heavier.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given progressively more responsibility throughout my placement and have been responsible for some significant projects allowing me to feel like I am making a real contribution to the team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills gain are extremely useful and can be applied to final year of university. For example, literature reviewing skills can be applied to dissertation writing and presentation skills can be applied to final year presentations.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere is very friendly and social.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The overall Johnson and Johnson scheme was very organised however the organisation within my department was not as defined and took some teething throughout the year.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I have attended numerous conferences, training courses and courses at the local university,
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing, currently in discussion about the potential of a future job with the company.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I lived with some other placement students and regularly socialized with them outside of work- even going on holiday with them.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It was very reasonable for living within a city.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife is extremely good as it is a university city.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were lots of opportunities to get involved with corporate social responsibility.