1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at L'Oreal. The people within the business, the job role itself and the opportunities I got were extremely enjoyable and engaging.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt extremely valued by my employees, both within my team and outside this. Everyone made me feel extremely comfortable and were interested in my development.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was incredibly supportive both with my day to day work and my overall development. They were always available for a chat or for any questions I may of had.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Generally, my days were very busy but not out of control. This level of busyness came from the trust and responsibility I was given.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a large amount of responsibility. I had a number of large scale projects that I had to manage myself and also got the opportunity to work on some exciting external projects. I regularly reported into senior management at director level which shows the trust and responsibility I was given.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have learnt an incredible amount at L'Oreal, both related to my degree specifically and to working life at a large company in general.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere is very friendly within the office. Everyone is always up for a chat or a coffee (there is a 'coffee culture' at L'Oreal!). Although friendly, you are also expected to work hard and meet deadlines but everyone is very supportive in helping you do this.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was very well set up. I received a good induction and have also had the opportunity to access a range of training courses.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There are a number of courses available to go on, both internally and externally, to help you develop your role specific knowledge and knowledge of the industry.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The future prospects are very appealing. The graduate scheme seems particularly interesting as you get the opportunity to do 3 different job roles, in 3 different brands across multiple streams (marketing, commercial, finance etc)
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The number of placement students L'Oreal take on means there is a number of social events throughout the year. You will get a number of opportunities to meet placements from different parts of the building. There is also the opportunity to join sports teams.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Hammersmith is not overly expensive compared to central London. I commuted from outside of London but the rent prices are about average for London and there are some cheaper places to eat/drink around.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife in Hammersmith itself is not great but the areas around, such as Fulham, South Kensington etc are very lively and offer a good nightlife. You are only 20 minutes from central London on the tube.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I joined a football team which proved to be a great activity throughout the year.