To support with the expansion of E-Retail and Online throughout the division and to gather insights and recommendations for the future
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have had an fantastic time during my year here. L'Oreal is an amazing place to work with such a great culture. I have really learnt a lot and also really developed my skills and confidence. Due to there being so many interns at L'Oreal, there is a great opportunity to make new friends and made the placement even more enjoyable.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was quickly given a lot of responsibility which grew throughout my placement. Interns are really valued at L'Oreal and I was definitely made to feel like a proper team member from day 1. I have always been given the correct recognition for my work.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I have always had the support of my manager whenever I needed it and nothing was ever too much trouble for them and she always had time for any questions I had. I feel that my manager really enhanced my experience at L'Oreal and ensured that I could take every opportunity that was given to me.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At the start of the placement there were sometimes a shortage of tasks for me to do, however, as the placement went on I became increasingly busy, as I was given more and more responsibility. Also, I have never been too busy during the placement and I have never felt overworked or had to stay way beyond my working hours.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I have been given so much responsibility over the placement, with many projects becoming my own to manage and complete. My manager was always there for guidance however that was only when I asked for it so I felt like I could make the projects my own. Although I was given tasks to complete it was my decision how they were completed, which meant I could make them my own.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Working at L'Oreal has given me the time management and organisation skills that I can carry with me to my future work. I have also really developed my self confidence and networking skills. My data analysis skills have majorly increased which will help me with my future studies.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
In the area where I worked it was quite quiet and there wasn't much of an atmosphere, in contrast to the rest of the office where there was much more of an atmosphere. However, it was still a relaxed and comfortable environment to be in. My work environment may not suit everyone but it has not been a problem for me.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The organisation and structure of the placement was great. Everything was prepared for me when I started and I didn't have any issues.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
At the beginning of the placement the interns received several training sessions from legal to diversity training. These were really useful as part of the induction process and really helped me understand L'Oreal as a company and its values. However, I wouldn't say I have received a great deal of technical training, such as with tools or software that I would have to use in my role. More technical training would have been really helpful.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
L'Oreal has a Graduate Scheme that is 1 year with 3 different rotations which is a really unique opportunity. They mainly employ the Graduates from those that have completed the placement year. The Grad Scheme is really valued within L'Oreal and the opportunities for progression once on the grad scheme are unrivaled.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Due to the large number of interns, regular intern socials were organised, which often meant we could all have a night out for free. We would also organise things between ourselves. As I was part of a small team I didn't have the opportunity to take part in team events, which would have been nice. There is also a Christmas party that is organised which was really fun.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I was lucky enough to live within walking distance to work and so I didn't have to spend money on public transport for my commute. The average rent would be around £750-£850 per month, which the salary for the placement covers. The cost of socializing is fairly standard of the London norm and I wouldn't say it was any more expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There are lots of bars and pubs in Hammersmith but no clubs so for that we would have to travel to another area of London.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Other than the intern socials, I didn't have an opportunity to get involved outside of work.