1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement at Cummins Turbo Technologies and have really enjoyed getting the experience to gain industrial experience.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
With most of my projects I felt as though they were useful projects to the team and therefore valued as much as every other employee. I didn't always feel valued , in particular when I was completing projects that seemed to have little value to the business, but I am pleased to say these were not common.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given very good attention when it was needed but also had to understand that people can be busy and it was important to choose when to ask for advise. With all direct managers I felt as though the guidance was excellent to give me all the base skills to succeed in my role.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Most days I had a fair amout of work and it was really only at the beginning of my placement where I felt as though I had moments of boredom, this was more likely due to me being new to the business. During my time at Cummins my time management has imporved and this has allowed me to take on more work, this has resulted in me becoming busier during the year.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a fair amount of responsibility and was able to have full ownership over my projects, however often these were very low risk project.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I have developed at Cummins will give me excellent foundations to launch a career from. The main skills I will take into my degree are the time management skills and I hope these will be helpful in organising projects to insure ample time for deadlines.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office was always friendly and their was always a good productive atmosphere, in my second rotation I was sat next to the water fountain so was therefore very loud this was the only bad point.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement is extremely well organized and is structured in a way that weaknesses can be highlighted early on and acted on. Having the chance to go on company internal training sessions was a really good attribute of the placement. The only thing that wasn't very well organised is the transparency of what follows the placement and how the sponsorship and graduate system works.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Getting the opportunity to complete training session has really boosted my technical knowledge, also getting the chance to complete year one of my MPDS has allowed me to get one year closer to becoming chartered. Every rotation is reviewed at the end and this allows for weakness's to be highlighted and acted upon, managers are aware of weaknesses and encourage placement students to work on them and improve these areas.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
It is clear to me how you can work your way up through Cummins and I believe to route is clear, for me however I don't like the idea of having to move into non technical management roles to progress.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I live in a large house with the rest of the placement students and I have to say the social side is great, we climb twice a week and play football every week, on the weekends we often hang out and sometimes head over to leeds for drinks,
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
400 on rent, 100 on food and 200 on social events roughly a month, Huddersfield is cheap and the surrounding nightlife is very cheap in comparison to other parts of the country
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The Nightlife in Huddersfield is very basic and not particularly good if you like music, however there are some great pubs and Leeds is only 20 mins on the train so there is something for everyone. There are some really fun nights to be had in Huddersfield as long as you are ready for a "Funny Night" rather than a "Good Night". There are also some really good places to eat in Huddersfield which is a bonus.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Every week I climb and play 5 aside football through work, and I know of people who get involved in other things such as badminton and cycling. The company also offers days out such as going to museums and motorsport events.