Industrial Placement Student at BAE Systems

Engineering Science/Research

BAE Systems is a Top Employer

7.5/10

4.8

I think my placement year made a huge difference in my life. I got a confidence boost, I learnt new things, I developed a set of good skills (both engineering and business in general). I really enjoyed my placement and I'm glad I had that opportunity.

I was surrounded by nice people, 90% of them were willing to help when I needed it. They did their best to make me feel comfortable in the company. I felt like an equal member of that BAE Systems family.

My line manager was always around to help me. If he couldn't, he always sent me to someone who can. I was given a choice what project do I want to support and then I was given all the help needed to develop useful skills.

I was quite busy. I had a few projects to work on. I also used to help technicians when they needed extra hands. When not extremely busy I was allowed to do some university work or I was encouraged to read some books from the onsite library (work related).

I was trained on most of the equipment onsite so I was happy to carry on tasks. My boss was gradually increasing the amount of responsibility for me. He challenged my knowledge before allowing me to take on a task.

I learnt how to work systematically, meet deadlines, sometimes work under pressure, plan my work. I believe that will help me at university. I also did gain priceless knowledge about munitions, which would be extremely helpful if I decide to continue my career in defence business.

People were positive, nice and friendly. I felt like a part of family.

There were some difficulties during the vetting process, so the beginning of my placement was a bit weird (for example I was not allowed to see some things). I haven't met many Placement Students because there weren't many, but because of that I was usually treated like people from Graduate Scheme. I was allowed to attend their meetings.

I was offered some courses, I attended some events good events. BAE Systems made me feel a vital part of the organisation. I see a big opportunity to develop myself in that company.

I can join that company for a Graduate Scheme when I finish my course at university.

Unfortunately in my area there wasn't many people at my age to socialize with. I had a chance only during charity events for early careers and graduate events.

I lived in a small village in Wales so not many places you can go to, but it was cheap. However by taking a cheap flat I agreed on driving to work 15miles every day. (You can probably find something closer to work if you don't have a car)

The company is in a small Welsh village.

There were some charity events you can get involved in, also there was a chance to become STEM ambassador.