I worked as a junior legal intern which included many tasks similar to that of a paralegal. Legal and commercial research, drafting, document reviewing, due diligence and legal support for the wider business.
1. To what extent did you enjoy the insight?
Very insightful, there was an appropriate emphasis on culture and the right balance was struck between work delegation and insight into the culture of the firm, I would highly recommend to any student who would want to see an accurate reflection of Goldman Sachs as a company, to take part in the Spring Internship.
2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
The key word I would use to describe Goldman's culture is; "Inclusive". The diversity initiatives and the way that i was approached by the current employees was very welcoming and encouraging. It was very easy to settle into the office and get to know people.
3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
I had the benefit of being well-guided and supported. Although the work was challenging, my questions were welcome and heavily encouraged.
4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills that were developed here at Goldman Sachs were very well suited to putting the content of my degree into context. It increased my commercial awareness and developed my level of professionalism which can be transferred to any firm of any nature.
5. How well structured was the insight?
Very well structured insight. A timetable was provided from day one, clearly detailing which activities we were required to attend, which ones were optional and where they will be held and at what time. There was never a moment where i felt the scheme was disorganized or unstructured. At the same time it had an adequate amount of flexibility to allow me to really experience the firm as a whole and focus on the things I found most interesting.
6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
Generally, positive, friendly and inclusive atmosphere, very network driven and collegiate. Definitely contrary to the pre-conceptions that many may have about Goldman Sachs as a company. The firm were also very encouraging of feedback ads to how they could improve the insight for future interns.
7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There was a high degree of investment in me as an individual. In a firm such as this, time is very precious but was given freely as and when needed. We had access to the firm's top of the range gym facilities and travel and accommodation was organised seamlessly with little to no monetary expense to the interns. High level of investment which encouraged personal and professional growth
8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
As previously mentioned, the insight came across as a very transparent and accurate reflection of what it would be like to work at the firm full-time.
9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
Company culture was the main emphasis around the scheme, work delegation was kept at a reasonable balance so that interns could network with colleagues around the wider firm and we had the opportunity to attend the firm's networks to really understand what type of people work for Goldman Sachs and how they impact the culture of the firm,
10. How valuable was the content of the day in helping you to decide on your future career path?
The content of the day was very helpful in terms of informing us of the relevant factors we would want to take consider in pursuing a career with the firm. This of course will vary depending on what one places most emphasis on, in deciding on a firm. I personally consider the quality and impact of the day-to-day work that is experienced in a firm and so more work delegation may have been preferable for me.
11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
I was paid/reimbursed adequately for the scheme. The firm was generous in this respect and it demonstrated an amazing commitment to the level of investment Goldman Sachs injects into its employees.
12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
Lots of opportunities to network, in fact, failing to network with others or opting to adopt an isolated attitude to your work would not be in keeping with the firm's core values.
13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
The networking opportunities were great, they added a rich value to the experience and many contacts were made which will be maintained even after the insight has been completed.
14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
Lots of opportunities, i.e. talks, networking events, gym and social events were very well communicated.
15. Would you recommend this insight to a friend?
100% yes, I would recommend the insight to anybody regardless of their career path.