1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my internship. I got to experience a few different departments within the business and was entrusted with my own workload and time lines. Everyone has been very friendly and helpful and have guided me whilst helping me develop and feel like a valuable member of the team. The work continuously changed and I was involved in the whole life cycle of the product.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt extremely valued by my colleagues. From the word go I was accepted into the team. I have been invited to different social events and after my initial training I was treated with the same respect as everyone else. Having my own workload meant that if one of my colleagues needed to know something about the area I was working on, I was the best person for them to come to on that subject which showed my opinion and work mattered.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
To start with, I felt like I was asking way too many questions but everyone has been very kind and has seemed happy to help and go through everything again with me to ensure I understand. After a little while I didn't need as much support and was allowed to work independently, checking in every so often and getting guidance whenever needed. My Industrial Placement was split down into two smaller placements and for both of them I was sat next to my supervisor which was great because they were right there when I needed some guidance.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was constantly busy. I could work at my own speed though so it didn't feel like there was too much and it all seemed do able. As well as having my own workload I had access to the teams workload and I had the freedom to change my workload slightly if I found something that took priority. As well as the day to day work we were offered a stretch assignment which are designed to help develop some of our other key skills. This fit in around your normal role but didn't take much time out so you kept busy but refreshed and as if you were gaining more skills to help you with your career.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given the right amount of responsibility. I was given enough to feel like a valued member of the team and as if what I was doing mattered but not enough to feel like there was a weight on my shoulders.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think they will help me a lot. I have been able to see some of the ideas we have been learning about at university in real circumstances which makes them more real and mean more. As well as improving my testing and coding, I have reviewed high level design specification, communicated successfully in various ways to all kinds of people. I have improved my organisational skills, team work and have had various training including first aid training.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
A friendly, happy busy office.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
For my first placement mostly everything was sorted behind the scenes before I got there and my second I found myself and was as straight forward as saying I want to work there. Will you take me on?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They allowed me to sign up for a few different courses and tried to help push me in whichever area I was interested in. I was asked in regards to my university course what would I like to have achieved here, what areas am I interested in and what would help me most for my course and then they tried to find me a role that would be ideal for what I wanted and what the company needed too.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very. Both areas I have worked for have said they are taking people on and I hear other areas are too.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I believe there was I didn't really go out but I was invited to a couple.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It is relatively cheep.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I was based near Preston and Blackpool so there was lots going on.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There was badminton, football and singing groups that I was invited to join. I believe there was a lot more too if I would have looked at the notice boards.