Facilities Project Manager for BAE Systems covering all strategic facilities requiremtns on BAE Systems sites and majority of RAF Bases in the UK
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my time at BAE Systems alot, this mainly down to the role I was in. As a facilities engineer I was able to see first hand the difference that my team made not just to the our primary customer (RAF) but the business aswell. Personally I found this very rewarding. Another factor was definetly my colleagues. Everyone made me feel welcome and part of the team. Without their support and guidance I feel I would not have progressed and enjoyed myself as much as I did.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The relationships I built whilst at BAE I will never forget. I was made to feel very much part of the team. I was delegated many of the teams responsibilities and once I was well established and had proven my skills, my opinion was taken in high regard. This greatly helped to strengthen the feeling of being valued.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Both my line managers were highly supportive. Their guidance and support throughout my placement year was very important to my development and success during the projects I was working on. Majority of the time I was encourage to work off my own iniative but when I did need guidance they were were always there.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Working within a facilities for an aerospace and defence company was very demanding. The work always had tight deadlines and budgets and because of that you had to push yourself and others to achieve your objectives.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Alot! but in no mean terms was it just handed to me. Through hard work and dedication to my role I was soon given responsibility of a number of projects. One of these I was ask to deliver a new facility called the Engineering Capability Development Centre worth £20K. Other projects included delivery of a new excel based process to efficiently manage our on-site office space. Additional to these was the task of delvering critical information to the BAEs directors to assist in future investment decisions on BAE and RAF sites
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I learnt will be priceless for my final year. My time management has improved no end, I am now more focussed and disciplined, and the training and experience I have received have given me more confidence in my own ability.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Moral in the office was always high. All my colleagues were very friendly and there was never anyone you couldn't talk to, perfessionally or personally.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was sent on a number of training courses to help develop my skills in the role of project management and earned value management. After proving myself as a successful placement student the company have took it upon themselves to sponsor me for the remainer of my academic studies
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
After successfully completing making an impression with senior members of staff at BAE Systems I hav been offered sponsorship for my final year of university and a graduate job.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Met some great fellow placement students who I regurarly socialised with. I intend on keeping in touch with them
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The North West is incredibly cheap compared to south without losing any quality
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The northwest was great for nightlife. I lived in Preston and it had everything I needd for a great night out. One of the biggest nightlife hot spots, Manchester, was only a 30 minutes away and I had some of the bst nights out there.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
The BAE Site in Warton held many events outside of work that you could get involved in. Personally I played football for the BAE Systems 11 and 5 a side team but there was many other options.