1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The work was good and my colleagues were very supportive. But one negative point was, that there were only a few other interns at Plant Swindon and it took a while to notice, that there are any. Would have been nice if the company would provide contact information of other interns.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues were really nice and supportive and they were eager to show my all the stuff I need to know. They were interested in my personal development. But I was able to talk with them about personal stuff, too. I didn't feel like a stranger at all. We even planned a trip to Bath with the whole team on the weekend.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It differed very much how busy I was. On some days I had like two hours of work for the whole day and sometimes I couldn't finish all my tasks the day I was supposed to do. But I always had some stuff to do and when I was bored I was able to speak to my teamleader if he has some new tasks for me and usually he came up with some stuff for me to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The biggest responsibility I was given during my internship was a report I had to do every Tuesday. This report was presented to Group Leaders every Wednesday I had to make sure that all the numbers are correct and give various people a call to check the numbers. If something was wrong or if somebody wanted to know where the numbers come from I was the person to talk to.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learned a lot during my internship. Presenting stuff in front of people I will always need and I learnt a lot of Excel. But as well I got an insight in how to do industrial engineering studies which is good because I study Industrial Engineering. And as well my english skills improved during the half year of my internship. (I'm german)
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in my office was very good. As I said before I was able to speak with my colleagues about work and personal stuff. On top of that I didn't feel like an intern that had to do all the tasks nobody else wants to do. I felt like an equal team member.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
At the beginning my internship wasn't very well organised. It took me more than two weeks to get access to every folder I needed for my work and it took about one and a half week to get my I.D. card so I had to go to the security office for over a week to get access to the plant . But after the first three weeks I all the things I needed and I was able to really start my internship.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
My teamleader was focussed on my personal development and we regularly sat down together to talk about my work and he usually even told me what he had in mind with it for my personal development. I even took part in a team workshop where we discussed what every person can do better and I took part in a SAP training to get to know the SAP system.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I don't know if get a future job in the company just because of my internship but I think it's easier to get one because you build a lot of connections and I'm looking forward to do my bachelor thesis with BMW Group. They have graduate programs where you get a job after you finish your bachelor thesis.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I had to work in Oxford and Swindon for BMW Group and I got in touch with a lot of interns in Oxford and with some in Swindon. It took a while to get in touch with the interns in Swindon because I didn't know there were any. The Oxford interns organised a nightout in the pub every Thursday and other events like football or climibing on some weekends. The nightout on Thursday usually attracted about 30 interns.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
In Swindon the nightlife was a little poor but in Oxford the nightlife was very good.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?