Camp Counselor at Wild Packs Summer Camps

New York USA
Education/Teaching Leisure and Hospitality Sport/Sports Management Sports Sciences Travel and Tourism

8.5/10

This was such a rewarding opportunity. Every day was new and different and I made some really close friendships with some of my colleagues. I got to see more of America too, which was a bonus!

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at Wild Packs Summer Camps

Everyone is doing different things at camp but you all feel like you're in it together. Staff were from all over the world but all working towards a common goal.

Leadership staff are very busy but always on hand if you need help. They expect you to try and fix any problems, which I liked as I felt more independent.

Camp is a really fast paced environment. You might be teaching during the day (I taught climbing) but then doing something different later in the evening. Lots to do.

I looked after a group of campers along with a few others and then was also in the adventure team, so I had the responsibility of the kids as well as teaching new skills.

I got way more experience working with children over the course of the summer. My camp certified us in first aid and we also did a climbing qualification. Although working at camp didn't directly affect my course at uni I'm sure it will help me in future employment.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at Wild Packs Summer Camps

It was great. Camp is full of high highs and a few lows too but generally the atmosphere was amazing. Because it's so full on it's easy to get tired but with support you power through!

Wild Packs helped me with every step on the process. They even helped me when I was at camp as I needed to change the date I came home from the USA. They talked me through the visa and embassy process which was complicated initially but straight forward enough once I understood what I had to do.

I know that the first aid and climbing course cost the camp to put me through. Staff training before the kids arrived was very detailed, they tried to help us understand what working at camp would be like.

I have already signed up to go back to camp with Wild Packs. I'm so excited!

Yes, people were always very up for socialising. There's not always a lot of time to do so, you get one day off a week and a few evenings off per week too, but we made the most of it, especially after camp when a few friends and I went travelling.

I hardly spent any money at camp, mainly because when you're there all your food and accommodation is included. After camp I spent quite a bit more but that was because I chose to go travelling.

There were a few bars around but you're in the woods.

We had the opportunity to do some of the activities at camp, but it had to fit around our working hours.