1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Thoroughly enjoyed my placement year, gave me an insight into the corporate world and an understanding of how a large multinational organisation operates.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Always feel like valued member of each and every team I work with. Oracle employees are all so welcoming and are willing to dedicate some of their time to share there knowledge and career path.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
During my placement I had a very supportive manager who was interested my personal development, university work and placement projects. She would always dedicate time to meet and discuss progress and find additional things she believed would benefit me.
Also had a 'buddy' whilst on placement who I would meet with regularly to just discuss how I was getting on with projects and colleagues etc.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Each day I felt as if I had accomplished tasks and was given a balanced workload.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a large amount of responsibility which is uncommon when working for such a large company to truly integrate an intern into their important projects. I was given individuals task which I had to oversee throughout the year and were completely my responsibility to complete.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I believe my placement year has allowed me to progress a huge amount both with personal skills and business ability.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Great atmosphere each and everyone of the modern Oracle offices.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was very well structured. My manager set a variety of projects that would last either for a short period of time or project which were scheduled to last the whole twelve months.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I discovered and developed many new skills whilst working for Oracle. My manager also encouraged me to complete an Excel training course through the internal training scheme known as Oracle University which was covered by my managers cost centre.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
From building a strong network of contacts during my placement I hope to use my network to form potential future employment.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
As there were around 28 placement students during my year at Oracle we would often social together either after work or on weekends.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
More expensive than average due to the close proximity to London and great travel links. Easily affordable to live and work in Reading on your salary.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Plenty of bars and nightclubs available in Reading, something going on most nights.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There is the opportunity to get involved with various clubs in and around the Reading area, some activities even promoted by employees and invited to attend by colleagues to give me the opportunities to meet new people.
Also, great gym on the business park available with discounted membership.