1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my time at TUI in Commercial. So much so that i applied for and secured a job in their Coventry office which has allowed me to stay working for the business!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
There is a great social scene at TUI - and in my experience even the GM's join in and get their wallets out! I dont think that happens everywhere!?
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Training an development is really understood at TUI. facilities are first class and there is plently of time dedicated to your develoment throughout your placement. The first 3 weeks are a little intense!
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Working in trading means you constantly have a new issue to resolve.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Responsibility was introduced in stages.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I am now more likely to apply for roles in fields i would never have considered before. I now realise the benefits of working for a large company in in terms of Development opportunities.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Trading is a serious environment and the atmosphere reflects that. Work hard, play hard.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement is managed and supported by people who work in 'real role' within the department. I feel it would benefit from more HR resource and money.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I do not feel short changed by my time at TUI, however if you apply dont expect your development to come on a plate. If you dont seak it out yourself, get the time to get around and meet new people, your likely to sit behind a desk for a year and not get to meet the wider business!
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I am still currently working for TUI in a different role P/t while at uni. I would really like to work for TUI Travel upon graduating.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Limited - depends what you want from the scheme.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Very cheap! £250 pcm rent and walk to work.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Lived in a residential area and Luton of an evening really isn't appealing!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?