1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My year at Egress was thoroughly enjoyable, I learnt a lot but also felt challenged each day which allowed me to develop my skills and gain valuable experience. I felt as if I grew as a person in many ways, socially and professionally. Everyone at the company was incredibly friendly which created a very enjoyable working environment. The work I was involved in related strongly to my modules at university, I felt that my experiences were very relevant to what I was interested in and will help me significantly in my final year.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very valued by my work colleagues, outside of my specific role I was able to help various colleagues with their work using my skills. I felt as if my colleagues trusted me despite my relative inexperience which was a boost for my confidence in my role. I was treated as an equal by everyone in the company which made my placement very enjoyable.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The manager I worked alongside in the role was very helpful and offered great guidance which enabled me to learn an incredible amount. My manager helped me to understand the business better and how finance specifically played a role within the business. Not only did they give great advice and feedback on my work role but also outside of the role concerning my placement dissertation.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The balance of workload was a good balance, I did not feel overworked and as the role progressed I felt more busy, due to working in a relatively small team I had more work to do and it felt valuable and useful.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I felt I was given a lot of responsibility during my placement, due the fact I worked in a small team meant my work had more significance and a bigger impact, this was one of the best things about my job role. My responsibilities helped me feel more valued and allowed me more insight into the company and the role of finance which was what I particularly wanted to gain from my placement.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I already feel as if the skills and experience I gained during my placement have helped significantly during my degree studies, my role was very relevant to what I study and so my understanding of concepts within modules has been improved. In addition the skills I have developed will help my in my future career and with future jobs.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was great, everyone worked hard but the atmosphere was relaxed it was very enjoyable and a lot of fun. The atmosphere helped me to settle in quickly as I was immediately put at ease by everyone's friendly nature and how well we all got on.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was set up well considering I was essentially the first placement student. My manager helped me settle in and eased me into my role very well.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Although there wasn't a significant amount of personal training I enjoyed this as I was given the opportunity to be independent and learn things for myself. The company invested in me in the sense that I was given responsibilities and the opportunities to develop my skills, I felt that the company cared about my development and enabling me to get the most out of my placement.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I was not offered a future employment opportunity by the company.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were no other placement students during my year at Egress however the company had a relatively young workforce which meant I made great friends and got on with everyone every well. The more senior employees within the company were also very friendly so all in all the social aspect was great.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home during my placement year which meant the cost of living was low but would assume the cost of socialising would be relatively high as the placement was based in London.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The local bars, pubs and places to eat were great and during local social events I had the opportunity to enjoy the nightlife.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
The were regular social events which allowed me to get to know employees within the company that I did not get to work with on a regular basis and I found them very enjoyable.