1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Did enjoy plenty of experience but due to certain circumstances did not get to really have a project that I could concentrate on in the long term at my placement. Manager change midway meant the manager could not spend much time concentrating on myself as an intern; understandably as he had to understand all the other planners' projects first.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
While I did feel valued I felt like wasn't given many projects that made me feel challenged and tested my ability as a graduate engineer.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Some supervision at the start but during the management changeover I lost some guidance to extent, although did receive some at times from other colleagues.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some days were quite busy while some at times felt not so busy, but I do feel like the balance was consistently good in the last 3 or 4 weeks.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Was given a fair degree of responsibility during shutdown operations but otherwise I feel like I could have handled more than what I was given in terms of projects to work on. I feel that this may have improved with more time at the company and has improved over time.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My technical may not have been developed as much as I had hoped, but in terms of understanding how people behave and work in a large corporation, will be extremely valuable moving forward. That and understanding the complex process of tendering with other companies which requires a lot of attention to detail.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Had a general good vibe; light hearted.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
At the start there was some structure to it but this was lost as the management change occured.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Did have a good amount of time spent working with other departments which was important to my personal development, to be able to learn how to work with people with different interests and agendas in their work.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Good for now but has decreased for BMW Group UK because of the planned pension changes as well as the possible consequences of Britain leaving the EU.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Had a fantastic social scene with fellow placement students, as there was always something to do, be it parties or travelling or playing sports.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Very expensive in oxford for both cost of living and socialising.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nightlife was fun but did not have such a big scene as you would see in London, for example.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I was able to get into many sporting and creative activities outside of work during my time here.