Carrying out whatever tasks my line manager needed help with on that day. Mostly consisted of the compilation of various reports.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The 10 weeks flew by - having imagined that it might drag, Monday to Friday went very quickly. I think this must be a sign that I enjoyed it!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My team were very tight knit to start with but I quickly felt at home amongst them. Being taken out for lunch by the team at the start and end of my internship was a nice touch!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Any questions I had, whether big or small, were answered by my line manager and he didn't have any problems if helping me out with something.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
To some extent, not very. Had I just completed what I was asked to do, I would have had lots of time just sitting around. But fortunately, I saw opportunities where I could almost 'create' work for myself and do something unexpected. This made me busier and left a better impression.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Quite a lot - compiling reports for senior management made me feel as though the work I was doing was important.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Almost all the things I learnt are going to be completely irrelevant to my final year of study. However, the skills that I picked up are undoubtedly going to be invaluable for the start of my career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very few offices are terribly exciting - they are places of work and the office here felt exactly like that. Neither particularly inspiring, not soul crushing!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The Campus Recruitment team had spent a lot of time making sure that the internship was well structured and this was really evident.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The individuals that took the time to develop my skills really were investing their time in me and I felt that all the way through.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I managed to secure a place on their Graduate Training Programme!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The other interns in my division were really sociable and I have made some good friends. I didn't have much contact with those interns outside it though.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Very expensive, but working in the city this is to be expected! Drinks after work aren't going to be cheap.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Again, there are plenty of places but all very expensive!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Lots of opportunities to join various groups whether it was playing poker or 5 a side football!