To assist the RCI UK Used Car Marketing Project Manager in delivering the marketing strategy to achieve the annual KPI’s.
GENERAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Support the RCI UK Used Car Marketing Project Manager to execute the Used Car Marketing Strategy:
• Benchmarks existing Finance offers for the UC market
• Ensures that RCI Direct is always quoting the correct UV offers
• Control of the platforms / products developed and its reporting
• Be able to make presentations on the reporting results
• Assist in creating and securing partnerships with international Used Car sites
• Work in coordination with the digital team regarding the implementation of an online platform for used cars
• Assist the Used Car manager in pricing of products
• Conduct regular Used Car reporting for the Marketing Department
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I am thoroughly enjoying my placement at RCI. As an intern you are treated equally and everyone is extremely welcoming. During my first 3 months, I have already noticed myself progressing and have learned vast amounts about marketing, which I know I can apply in my final year at university.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I immediately felt valued by my fellow colleagues at RCI. At some points this meant I was given a lot of responsibility which was challenging at times, however hugely rewarding. Everyone is extremely supportive and appreciates you being there, rather than being a burden - which I initially feared from my placement year.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I am in constant contact with my Line Manager and even under the circumstances of her not being available others will happily assist me. There are many ways to communicate to employees at RCI and the alliance; Skype has been very beneficial if you want to ask informal questions quickly. Whenever I had a problem (rarely), my manager would do her upmost to resolve it. The support I have been given has helped me feel comfortable and confident in my role from the start.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The Used Car Team is very small, however we are currently working on a large digital project. I have been very busy due to the responsibility I have been given. I initially found myself completing my tasks quickly leaving me lost for something to do but I have found the key is communication with your manager, I personally prefer being really busy than sat around doing nothing.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As the immediate Used Car Team is just my manager and myself, I have been able to suggest and implement my own ideas into this project which is not only a hugely beneficial experience, but has significantly improved my confidence. A key highlight so far has been attending important meetings with the UK’s biggest online automotive sites, whereby I was actively encouraged to contribute in discussions.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
As an inherently creative person, the placement at RCI has not only developed my awareness of the marketing environment in the financial and automotive industry, it has also refined my communication, IT and presenting skills. I look back at my knowledge prior to completing a placement and I now realize that I wasn't fully aware of how a real life business operated.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Amazing! This is easily the best aspect about working at RCI. RCI’s open plan office setup facilitates communication between all employees, even with directors. As an intern you are treated equally and everyone is extremely welcoming. Alongside this, there are regular fun team building events; I recently captained a team of 20 during the 2 week-long event ‘RCI Olympic Games’. I believe it is partly due to this work ethic why the company is so successful - the employee orientated schemes are great.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement has been organized fairly well thus far. There have been no great mishaps and everything has ran smoothly. RCI have had placement students before so they know what they are doing. It was helpful to overlap with last years placement students as they can relate to your position and advise you.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I have taken part in several training schemes since I have been at RCI. These are to ensure we are 100% clued up with the products. We also learn about other departments which I have found to be very beneficial as it is always a good idea to know about the whole company and the other roles available.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would definitely return to RCI if given the opportunity, however there isn't a grad scheme at RCI (there is at Renault) so the prospects of returning after I finish university are unknown. If a position became available which I was interested in then I would definitely consider applying!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes! During my first week I went out with my colleagues. I made an effort to get myself known from the start and I have now been invited to birthday parties and other out of office social events. If you make the effort to socialize then it will definitely be worthwhile and you will make some great friends.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I live in Islington (North London) so I commute 40 minutes to Watford instead of living there. However I have noticed that Watford on average has a lot cheaper drinks than London (£3.50 for a pint in the pub near RCI). I'm originally from the North so I was skeptical about Southern prices but RCI's 'local' is really reasonable - hence why we end up staying there all night. There is also a huge Wetherspoons if you want a really cheap pint.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Watford has an array of nightlife options depending on your preference. There are a few clubs; Oceana to name one. There is also a Pryzm coming to Watford in the next few months. There's also nice bars which stay open until 1-2am if you don't fancy going to the club.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I know there is a weekly running club that goes on, however I do not attend. As we are in the Alliance with Renault and Nissan, we are also invited to take part in their out of office activities. There was a 'Colour Run' that took place quite recently. I usually just partake in the 'inside of office' activities that go on because they're really fun.