1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I was always kept busy and felt like I was doing meaningful work. Everyone in the office was very friendly and welcoming making it a pleasure to come into work each day. I particularly enjoyed working on site in a small audit team.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was given a lot of responsibility to complete sections of work my own, following being checked over, my work was then added to that of the team making my contributions feel valued. Various people were keen for me to help them with other sections of their work too, it was nice to know I could be of use to them and they were always very appreciative.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had regular meetings with a counselling manager and they were always able to respond to emails and were approachable in the office if I had any questions/problems. When working on a job the audit senior was happy to give me guidance and answer any questions I had with regards to my work.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There was not one day out of the six week placement in which I felt bored of like there was nothing for me to do. If I finished work for someone, there was always someone else who could find me something to do. However I was left to complete things at my own pace so there was not too much pressure and I was able to properly learn things as I went.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Having been given instructions/guidance I was then left to compete sections of work on my own and I was contributing to real work being carried out my office. I felt a lot of responsibility was given to me when working on site as I was representing BDO to a client. The other two interns in my office and I were also left to organise a fund-raising event by ourselves as part of a project during the placement.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Completing the application process has given me more confidence with interviews and presentations in general. The training I received and the placement as a whole has given me a great insight into businesses, how they are run and how they financially operate, which I feel is good knowledge for life. The placement has helped my studies by giving me a goal to aim for (job offer).
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
People were friendly and smiled or said hello when you walked passed them. People would chat when making coffee and check that you were getting on ok with your work. There was a free fruit bowl freshly stocked each week and a good tea/coffee selection. Every Friday there was a charity dress down day and a quiz in the afternoon.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The first week of induction and training was very well planned, very useful for the rest of the placement and a nice opportunity to meet other like-minded interns from other offices. The rest of the placement at my regional office was well organised and I was given a personal schedule on my first day. The last two days of the placement however felt less well organised. It was nice to have closure all together but what we did could have easily fitted into one day instead of two.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I completed a 4 day training course at the beginning of the placement. For every job I completed at my regional office I had to write personal objectives that my supervisor helped me to meet and then every job and my objectives were subsequently reviewed by me and my supervisor. I received a feedback in the form of an appraisal meeting at the end of the placement.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I was offered a job following a final interview at the end of the placement.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were lots of social events organised for us during our intro week and again during the closing days at the end of the placement. There was a national BDO football tournament one weekend that the office covered the costs for us to attend.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Relatively expensive to eat out and buy drinks.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Didn't really go out in the area where my office was.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There was a national football tournament and they were holding a rounders tournament for my office just after we left. Didn't hear about anything else.