1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed the entire work experience on the summer internship at BDO, I worked on a number of different clients in a variety of sectors giving me great insight into the day to day work.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
All of the staff made me feel very welcome and supported me throughout the duration of my internship. Other members of the audit team were very appreciative of work I had completed and and I was made to feel like a permanent member of the office.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
During the entire internship I was given extensive support from all levels of staff where needed, whether it was a specific question or more general questions about life and work at BDO. All staff were always happy to answer questions and very helpful.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Over half of my internship was spent out on client site where there was always an abundance of work and testing to be completed. Occasionally there would be a quieter day in the office but staff always found work for me to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Initially I was supervised on my first day out at the client site to gauge my level of competence however as time progressed I was given sole responsibility for areas of the audit testing and the work I completed became more technical.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The internship allowed me to develop many interpersonal skills including communication, teamwork and problem solving all of which will benefit my employability in the future. Additionally, many of the tasks have greatly improved my attention to detail which will be beneficial for the final year of university and my following career. Finally, the use of specific software programs used will also prove useful in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was relaxed and all staff were very friendly.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was very well organised and thoroughly enjoyable. Both the training in Birmingham and final 2 days in London provided a great opportunity to meet other interns and begin to develop professional networks. I was told well in advance where I would be working and which clients I would be going out to. All accommodation and travel was provided by BDO for the initial training and final days in London.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
During the first few days in Birmingham we were given formal training on the computer programs we would be using during the internship and more general training on interacting with clients and other members of staff. Additionally, throughout the internship other members of staff would provide additionally help/advice.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Highly appealing, BDO have a structured graduate scheme with the opportunity to become professionally qualified within 3 years, investing a lot in their graduates with great advancement opportunities.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The social side of the internship was brilliant, the time spent in both Birmingham and London involved numerous nights out and social functions which were really enjoyable and BDO really put the effort into making sure every intern had a great time.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Nottingham is very affordable with many options for socialising.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nottingham has something to suit everybody's preference and is very enjoyable
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I had the opportunity to get involved with sporting activities outside work which was a nice surprise.