1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my tax internship with and was given a range of work as well as being given the chance to work in different departments
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very included by my team at BDO despite only being there for a short amount of time
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager and supervisor were very supportive. I was given a pack to fill in at the start of my internship so my internship so my manager could see what I wanted to gain from the experience. He then did his best to help me to reach these goals.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Summer time is generally a quieter period in the BDO office that I worked in so there were times when I was short of work. However, if you ask around the office then there is always something that you can help out on. You also take part in the micro-tyco challenge where you raise money for a charity through various office activities so this kept me busy during quieter periods.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given as much responsibility as I could handle but when you are only there for six weeks, it is difficult to be running the show so to speak. During the latter part of my internship, I felt like I was given more responsibility once I had got to grips with various tasks.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I wouldn't say that any technical skills learnt would be applicable in my degree course as the programs used such as Alphatax are not used during my degree. However, the soft skills such as communication and teamwork will assist me in my degree course and for life !
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was good especially when all the graduates were back and not studying for exams. It was a bit quieter when a lot of them were on study leave.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was set up well. The first week was in Birmingham and the last few days were based in London. This created a good chance for you to meet interns from all over the country.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There is a buddy scheme in place where one of the graduates who will be a few years older than you will guide you and support you in all areas of working life.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?