Summer analyst in the RBC investment bank. Based in London.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The hours were long but the work was interesting. The team I was with was pretty small but really keen to help me learn from my time with them. I felt like although there were points during the summer when the work got tedious and a bit boring, on the whole the team made the work interesting for me.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
They were very nice and always willing to help me. They made it clear that my work mattered to them and often things I worked on ended up in presentations for senior management, which was pretty exciting for me.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
They were brilliant at helping me, and did a really good job setting me work so that I was pretty much constantly busy.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Pretty busy, although it was variable. Some days I had to work late into the night and others I could head home mid-afternoon. It really depended on what the time was working on at the time.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A lot of my work went into presentations for senior management, so I defiantly felt like I was given a lot of responsibility.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
What I learnt didn't directly affect my degree, but the skills (being organised/working hard etc) will definitely be useful back at university,
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very good. I got on well with my team and the other interns were really nice. As an intern class we got on very well.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Pretty well organised
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had a week of training before the internship, where I learnt a lot. We also had regular training sessions throughout the summer. The firm made a significant effort to invest in our development.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Got a pretty flexible offer for in two years time.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, we got on very well.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It was London, so pretty high.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
London... so pretty good.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?