Design and make a product for a child using the companies machines and software that will then be advertised on their website. A manual o the build was to be written up also.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
After having hesitations with working with a primarily software producing company for over 2 months, I quickly found myself really enjoying the placement. It was hands on and I did get to use one of the more basic CNC machines and was able to make my part in real using their software for my project.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
They were all a really great bunch of guys and were supportive of me and my work while I was there. (Artcam Department))
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Since the company was being taken over at the time and building being refurbished, everyone was very busy and so although they were available to help me do my project, they couldn't give quite the full support I needed. Am sure this wouldn't be the case now.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Busy constantly pretty much without feeling overworked - project was self driven too so it's what you make it.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Using machines solo once I had been trained on them for my project that the company would then advertise on their website was a really good level of responsibility and made me feel incorporated into Autodesk.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learnt a huge amount about electronics, programming and using CNC machines, the role of an applications engineer, and was trained on multiple software. This will be really useful for pre job experience and perhaps in my degree.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Friendly and very relaxed (ArtCam department but probably true of the whole company)
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Shame that the refurbishments on this occasion meant that I couldn't finish my project as I didn't have access to all the machines. Apart from that was great.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They trained me well in their software and assigned me a tutor to guide me if I needed help.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very good, Autodesk is a big company
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, there were several socials organised my the company and the employees within it
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Heard it was good, but never went out
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
We went frisbee golf and a karting social was also organised.