1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my summer internship at RBC Capital Markets, since RBC has a unique company culture.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was really seen as a part of the team. Furthermore, I was always invited to team events.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
They always supported us during the entire internship. Since I am not a UK citizen, the HR team was really supportive when it comes to tasks like registering for your national insurance number.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Since I had my own projects, I was always quite busy even though the trading activities of clients is usually quite low during the summer.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
One of the projects I worked on with another intern was really important for the entire team. Therefore, they really trusted us that we are able to finish the project on time.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The combination of Classroom Based Training, E-Learning and the ability to sit together with employees from different divisions really allowed me to further broaden my knowledge about financial products.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone was very friendly and you were always welcome to ask all kinds of questions.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was well organized. They handed us a calendar at the start of our internship that clearly showed the dates and times for the training sessions and also the deadlines for our group projects.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
In my opinion, RBC is one of the best employers in the banking industry.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Since we worked together on numerous group projects, we were really able to get to know each other quite well. The overall atmosphere among interns was really friendly.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Since the internship took place in London, the expenses were quite high. However, all major investment banks are based in London. This means that there is no difference between the banks when it comes to the expenses during your internship.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?