Retirement and Investment Intern at Aon

St Albans East of England
Banking - Investment

7.3/10

7.4

Was really enjoyable. I was very lucky in that I got on really well with my team and the other interns. The social side was also good with the other interns. There was also great opportunities to play sport.

It's to be expected that the work you do as an intern isn't as valuable or technical as others, as you have to gain experience to do work that is complex. However, I was involved in projects and work which was used for clients with increasing frequency over time.

As I got on so well with my team, I was never afraid to ask for help. Asking questions was encouraged and I felt as though everyone would give the time to answer any questions.

As there were other newish team members, workload was lower than it could have been. I would have enjoyed a bit more work as there were times where I found myself with nothing to do.

I was given the responsibility that I would have expected as an intern. As Aon (Hewitt) is such a large company with defined roles, this would largely dictate the level of responsibility. The CSR Project, however, was a good source of responsibility with a charity client.

It was nice to apply elements of financial maths. I have also learned a lot about the work area, which has helped inform me of what I want to do. It is also a great start to a career and qualifications. Learning from a wide number of people helped me absorb a lot.

There was a very good balance between work and fun. Everyone understood when work would need to be done, however there was also time to play sports and go to social events. I think the work-life balance was good.

The overall internship was well arranged and communication was effective. However, I would have sometimes liked to have been more busy.

The company is very good with study, especially with graduates. The company did invest a lot of time in training interns, which was appreciated.

Doing the CFA qualification, Aon Hewitt are great with study days. Location would play a big role in any choice. Also, graduate pay is slightly lower than competitors for the industry I would like to work in.

Working outside of London made this more difficult, but the social scene was good in London. As there were only 3 interns where I was, this was more difficult.

Lived at home. London is expensive relatively.

Not the best.

There were loads of sports and other activities including socials. There was also opportunities to go to other offices, which was interesting.