1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I had a wonderful time at Rolls-Royce Motorcars. I had the opportunity to work on real world projects many of which made it to production. Th team were incredibly friendly, knowledgeable and willing to share their experience and skill set in order to improve my own skill set. My team working abilities and time management skills improved drastically during my internship.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues made me feel like a genuine member of the team, They were very helpful when I required assistance and were also willing to ask for help when it was required. This gave me tremendous confidence in my own abilities as a designer.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had a weekly review with my manager to discuss any matters regarding the internship. My team leader also organised weekly meetings to ensure that the workload was being evenly distributed throughout the team members.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The work was challenging and intense at times but highly rewarding. At times I was overseeing multiple aspects of multiple projects. However support was always available when it was needed.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
During my placement I was responsible for multiple projects and had complete ownership over entire cars. I was responsible for the creation of the initial visuals, overseeing alignment with the customer and also engineers to make the cars.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I have developed during my internship will assist me greatly during my final year of university. I have had numerous opportunities to put my skills to the test, primarily time management and teamwork. In terms of design focused skills I have had the opportunity to use them all on real world projects which has inspired confidence in my own capabilities and application of them on future projects.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The environment itself was not ideal as there was a lack of natural light. Sketching and computer based design work was a challenge at times because of this. The members of the team were incredible, they were always willing to help ad share their knowledge and they have all become close friends.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The process was really easy and stress free from start to finish. Documents were delivered in time and communication was consistent.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was provided with my own space in the design studio with my own dedicated work computer, tablet and drawing materials.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, there were regular get togethers, member of the design studio and the company as a whole would go to the pub, watch films in the cinema and also hang out around each others houses and have BBQ's and dinner parties.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Chichester is an expensive place to live however the salary provided by Rolls-Roce was more than satisfactory to cover all living expenses.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There are lots of wonderful pubs both in Chichester itself and the surrounding countryside.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were numerous events organised by the company during my internship.