7 week placement within a commercial centre. Working with clients and colleagues dealing with a range of activities.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The placement was very enjoyable! Each day something different was going on so there was always something to get involved in!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Within the first week I was able to join in meetings with clients and voice my thoughts and opinions. There was no 'Intern' stigma as I felt like I was part of the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The programme itself was very well structured and there was a lot of room for independent working. The support by management and colleagues was always there if needed.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Schedules varied from day-to-day. Some days were busy, others were not, but I was rarely bored.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I had my own project to deal with and I was independently travelling the country to meet people and see other parts of the business. I was able to converse with and help clients where relevant so I think I had a good amount of responsibility from the first week!
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
As a Management student I was not only able to see the organisational structure and strategy of HSBC, but I was also speaking with clients who run their own businesses everyday and helping them coordinate financial packages to suit the strategy of their business.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone in the office had different schedules and were often out meeting clients. Therefore the atmosphere varied from day-to-day as some days the office was busy but others it was empty.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The planning and support by the Graduate Development team was incredible. They were always there to guide me when necessary and they fully integrated me into the company from day one.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The placement started with a two day induction, as well as further training and experience days with the interns throughout the placement. My colleagues at the office were there to help me and I also had access to the online training academy so I could learn anything necessary for the job.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would love to work with HSBC again if given the opportunity!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Someone was always organising an event whether it be a charity event or a few drinks after work.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
HSBC arranged for my placement to be in my hometown so I managed to live rent free with the family!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Worcester isn't a booming city, but it's the nightlife that I am used to and I love it!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Whether it be a networking event with clients at the rugby ground, a charity skydive or a sports team, there were many activities to get involved with!