1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I very much enjoyed my internship. I was given a thorough overview of the company but was also given a project that suited my skills and challenged me. There were also opportunities to gain experience through attending a variety of meetings and meetings were set up for us to find out more about certain areas of standard life
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued to a large extent. The project that I was given was real work and once I left, the project has been continued by those on the team not just put away to the side. I was also given opportunities to contribute to morning meetings and was relied upon to provide the overnight US market news.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given support to a large extent. My manager sat very close to me so there was a constant flow of discussion and I felt that if I had an issue there was always someone I could ask. Each week I also had an official sit down with my manager to go over the week and get feedback
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Since my project was so large there was always more work to be done. I also had the morning meeting to contribute to on a daily basis. This was good as there was nothing I wanted less than to be sitting on my desk with nothing to do, once I had spoken with a number of people in the beginning I was clear of what I needed to do and carried this out
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I would say I was given a reasonable degree of responsibility. Once I was given the project it was completely up to me how I carried it out and did not receive constant checks on exactly what I was doing. This was good as it allowed me to learn to manage my day and get things done that I felt were most important.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
They will assist me to a large extent. My project was very related to my degree in Mathematics and Economics. I have learnt various econometric techniques but also a lot of practical skills that university doesn't teach you at all. This would include working with software such as excel and bloomberg
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere was very relaxed with low levels of stress. Lots of conversations about markets that were good to listen to and participate in
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was very well organised. There was a set program of interns with group events for us to attend
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
they invested to a large extent. I was given a number of paid subscription packages but also Bloomberg which was very valuable to me
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
They are very appealing as I can see this is a nice place to work
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes there was , we all lived together in the same building and a number of events were organised for us
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
There was no cost of living as standard life paid for our accommodation and prices were generally quite cheap
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
it was good with plenty of bars and the fringe show on
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?