1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I absolutely loved my placement at Standard Life. The work was challenging but super interesting and very related to my university course. People at Standard Life are happy to help you and chat to you about their careers and I felt completely included in the team. I couldn't have spent my summer in a better way and I would recommend Standard Life to anyone, especially in the Actuarial profession.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Totally valued, I was given important work to complete and my opinions were listened to in meetings. My colleagues took time to chat to me and explain their roles to me throughout my internship. We had various social events where I could get to know my colleagues on a personal level and this helped me feel comfortable in the workplace.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given incredible support. I had weekly catch ups with my manager but if I had troubles he was always willing to put some time in his diary to help me.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It was a busy internship but I didn't feel overwhelmed. I had deadlines that I needed to keep and I had to be careful I planned my time to meet these.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given an appropriate amount of responsibility. I felt values and know my work will be used but I never felt like it would be the end of the world if I made an error because there was always someone to check my work and support me.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It was so relevant to my degree and will motivate me in my fourth year.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Friendly, helpful, efficient.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Unbelievable organisation. We had fantastic intern development events and intern social events.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was allowed to develop as much as I wanted to - all the resources were provided. From online learning to meetings with professionals, there were a lot of development opportunities.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would love to work at Standard Life
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Amazing social scene - I have made friends for life
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I am from Edinburgh so no change to my usual cost of living.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Edinburgh is a great night out and the fringe festival is a fantastic bonus to have on during the internship.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were intern opportunities and fun competitions within my team during the Euros