Worked on the My life savings part of Standard Lifes digital team
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I got to do interesting things during my placement. It was 10 weeks and there was never a moment I had nothing to do
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Right from the start I was made to feel like a member of the team and not just an intern
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
If I had any questions my team were happy to help me. They also assisted during the set up
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There was the odd day were there wasn't much needing done but for the majority of the time I was kept busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given access to folders and servers the same as any other member of my team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have learned just as much in the 10 weeks I've worked at Standard Life than I did in my 4 years at university.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere is very welcoming and friendly. Everyone is in casual clothing and there are always people around you.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
My team had a clear plan for what they wanted me to do during my 10 weeks. It felt like they had planned in advance.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was sent to different departments to learn 1:1 how to do things I had never done before. The company spent time teaching me how to use the applications we use.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
If all goes well you can get offered the graduate program, so when you go back on your final year the job will be waiting for you
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
If you live outside of Edinburgh you are put up in accommodation with all the other interns. This was a great opportunity to socialize. By the later weeks you do form your own group of pals, as obviously not everyone is the same.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Accommodation was free, which was amazing. Edinburgh is not that expensive compared to places down South, which is good.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nightlife is unreal, especially if you are there during the summer, as the fringe is on the whole of August.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
most of the activities outside of work were organised by the interns, but there was enough of us that this wasn't an issue. We all socialized daily