Worked as an Actuarial intern in the fund development department, creating a tool in excel to analyse the performance of lifestyle profiles.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Highly enjoyable internship, both the atmosphere within the company and the time spent with other interns outside of work were great. Everything was well set up by Standard Life to allow you to enjoy the time here as much as possible.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The work I did was an actual project to develop a tool that my colleagues and others will continue to use long after my internship finishes, because of this it felt like I was contributing value to the team and the company and so was valued.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Everyone was very helpful with any problems I had at any point, and clear goals were set at the start.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Somewhat unfortunately I finished the main project for my internship a few weeks before the end of the placement, and while there were other tasks I could do this meant a few days were spent with little work to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A good amount of responsibility, I was the one ultimately responsible for everything I did in my main project. Would have maybe liked some time to gain experience of people management, but obviously that is quite hard to do in 10 weeks.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Very useful skills developed in many areas, while not directly related to my degree subject they will help me enormously.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very open and friendly atmosphere, not at all the stereotypical image of an insurance company.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Everything was mostly ready the day I turned up, a few things needed sorting but these were dealt with fairly efficiently.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
To a decent level, allowed and encouraged me to develop a wide range of skills, and time spent developing skills not directly related to my project such as leadership E-Learns.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Having seen a lot of the company in my time here, very attractive career prospects.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Majority of the interns given free accommodation in catered apartments, allowed a social scene to develop very easily and naturally.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Free accommodation provided by Standard Life was a huge perk, socialising was reasonably priced as long as you were sensible.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Edinburgh Fringe festival was on towards the end of the placement, and outside of that the nightlife in Edinburgh was good and there was always somewhere to go.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?