1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Really enjoyed the internship, friendly and supportive team members. I was allocated exactly where I wanted to work, so I enjoyed getting to know more about my area and the paths people took to get there.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Highly valued in that my opinion was considered and listened to in various meetings, at times being actively asked to share my thoughts. My work contributed to the general output of the division, as well as my own research project which my colleagues got engaged with as well.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Weekly meeting with line manager, whether it was administration or some questions about work. Friendly, helpful, and made it comfortable to ask any questions.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some days are an average 9-5 office work type, other times starting a bit earlier and finishing later. Due to volume of work and the context of the period in which I was there, I had some later nights around 7pm due to deadlines
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Large responsibility over ensuring that I was busy the 'self-starter' approach. They leave you to decide how things are planned out and the type of schedule. Then in terms of work they expect output to be of high quality such that it does not have to be done again, thus any work given must be taken care of properly.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Extremely helpful towards my degree as I study economics, sharpened my skills in applied data and econometrics.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Highly productive atmosphere, but good friendly feeling within the division. Extremely supportive and interested in each others work. Went out for drinks at least once a week really helped to build relationships within the team.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
First couple of days were a bit slow, the induction process needs to be sharpened up. Communication from HR in the duration of the internship can also be better. Otherwise in terms of work everything is organised effectively and efficiently.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Given that I was a summer intern they invested a considerable amount, two programming training courses, a training course in presenting skills. Colleagues also spent time with me discussing and teaching me about different things.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
They have completely overhauled their initial system. Now it is essentially if you are a good performer you can stay with them.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yeah friendly people, various backgrounds, drinks, going out, etc.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Commuted everyday so no cost of living there, socialising cost was that of London.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
City area is very good, lots of late night bars, and can always go west for better clubs
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Not really, the focus of everything was in the work place, which is how I think it should be.