Drilling Intern at Schlumberger

Chemistry

6.7/10

6.0

Intern in the Drilling Fluids and Wellbore Stability group

It has been really good. I've done one project which has been split into two main parts but both were very interesting and gave relevant results.

If I had an idea, it would always be listened to, even if it did not get used.

My manager has been very supportive. We have spoken most days about the direction the project should go down.

For most of the year I've had very busy days. There have been a few weeks where I've been less busy but I've found work to do in these times.

As the year progressed and I felt more confident, I was able to do my own experiments and then report the results to my manager.

The chemistry I've learnt this year is unlikely to have a major bearing on my degree as it is very specialised. However, project management and organisation skills I have learnt will be invaluable.

The office has a friendly atmosphere however I feel like there could be more collaboration between departments. It was difficult to communicate with another department which ultimately led to issues with the end of my project.

The research centre has a lot of interns so they know what to do. The whole year has been very structured which has helped me get the most out of it.

Beyond essential HSE training, I have had little formal training. However, I have learnt how to use various machines after asking my manager

I've concluded that Schlumberger probably isn't the company I want to work for. This is mainly because a position as a field engineer is the main way into the company and that lifestyle doesn't appeal to me.

There are 10+ interns and we have all got on very well. This has made the year much more enjoyable.

Cambridge is very expensive however, the intern wage I have received reflected this.

The nightlife in Cambridge is fairly dire. However, I have traveled around the country visiting friends at other unis which has been enjoyable.

There is quite a lot going on in Cambridge however, you have to look for it. I have played 5 aside football every week however I had to seek it out.