Preparation of customer quotations, supporting the commercial team on sales and business analysis, maintaining the company website, producing company literature, market research.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed every minute of my time at Prysmian. I couldn't have wished for a better company to have spent my placement with.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Right through my 12 months with Prysmian I was treated like a full time employee.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
During my first few weeks there was a hand over period with the student I was replacing. During this time I received extensive training from the previous student which set me up the get the most out of my placement year. throughout my placement I received guidance from my mentor and was encouraged to ask for help if I felt I needed support.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was busy on a daily basis, I had several marketing commitments and monthly tasks to complete if it was a slow day in the commercial department.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I had the sole responsibility of maintaining the company's website and uploading new content. I was dealing with long established customers on a daily basis sending high value quotations. I represented the company at a railway expedition in the Excel area, London.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I was able to increase on my business & commercial knowledge. I will also be able to take the experience of maintaining a company website forward in my studies and future employment. I now feel I am proficient in SAP and Microsoft office which should make me more employable moving forward.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Relaxed atmosphere with regular quizzes at lunch time. However everyone was professional throughout the office.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Well organised and I was able to get everything out of the placement that I wanted.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
In my first few weeks I received extensive training from the previous student. I was sent on several product training sessions, sent on a website training course and was asked to represent the company at a rail exhibition. I also had the opportunity to visit the company's UK headquarters in Southampton.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
No positions available in the Wrexham commercial department unless any full time employees leave the company. There is a a graduate scheme which involves two years away from the UK.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Very good social scene with various meals out, trips to the cinema and recently went to Chester races for the day,
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home during my placement year however the Wrexham night out was relatively cheap compared to other areas in the UK.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Only did a couple nights out in Wrexham where all the venues are close together. Most of the socialising was done in Chester which was always a fun night out.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Five a side football on a weekly basis. One of the other students learnt Spanish at the Glyndwr (Wrexham) university.