1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed the vaired and enjoyable work i was given.i managed to get two roles working in the company, one a more practical role and one more office based. this gave me the opportunity to see the company from two different areas and gave me the chance to have such vaired work.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
i was given a lot of responsility while working for the company so therefore felt extremely valued. i was given tasks that were important and needed by other team members so therefore i was a valued member of the team.also team memebers were coming to me to help them with work that i had done to benefit their systems
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
There was always someone on hand to help me if i needed support in tasks wheether that be my tream manager, colleagues or the early careers. they were all happy to help me with a number of tasks whether it was initially talking me through systems and system tasks we had to perform or whther it was helping me with reports
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
overall i was kept quite busy, although in one of my placement areas the work was completely reactive so there wasnt always work on
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
i was given a lot of responsility while working for the company so therefore felt extremely valued
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This has helped me understand some engineering principles that i wasnt aware of so has benefitted me hugely
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There was a great atmosphere within the office, they made me feel welcome when i first joined and i felt like a key member of the team during my year there. There was also great atmosphere between colleagues not just on my team but between teams. Therefore i felt that if i needed to ask another team if i needed help in something they specialed in.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There was occassions that things got a little unorganised but that will happen with any place of work. 90% of the time there was a clear and concise of how things should be done and this casued the office to run smoothly and achieve their goals, there was always a back up plan if something involving an outside supplier didnt go as we expected.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company were very keen to get me involved with any training they thought i would need, this wasnt just me but they are keen for every employee having ample opportunity to access and attend any training that they feel would benefit them in the future and i was no different therefore i manged to achieve a lot while i was there.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
When my placement had come to the end i wasn't offered a place on the graduate scheme, this is because i was unsure on what i wanted to do afer university but becasue i had done such an excellent job on my placement year they said that when i graduate they would happily offer my an engineering role so therefore future employment was obviously a possibility which reasured me
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
there was a great social group we had, both with the summer interns and then once they left the graduates. There was a great range of intrests between us all therefore the was lots of opportunities to do what you enjoyed with lots of people our own age, whether it be 5 a side football or going for pay day meals.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Barrow in furness was very cheap in terms of both living costs and social costs, it was more than affordable and allowed me to save enough to see me through my final year of university. it also meant that i could be more social with the graduates and colleagues i wqorked with becasuse i didnt have to worry about my finances.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nightlife was the only downside for barrow in furness, this is because its only a small town so there wasnt much variaety and not many options for you to go and visit, Ulverstone had a better nightlife but that was a 20 minute train journey away so wasn't a place to stay out all night at. the people we socialised with though made it more acceptable.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
we were shown what opportuniities there were outside of work when we were on our induction week, this included sports teams, where cinemas were, gyms and other activities we could do. I personally joined a rugby team during my year and that was great fun and really enjoyed it. was a key reason i would return not just for the work but for the team.