Software Engineer at BAE Systems

Yeovil South West
Aerospace/Aviation Computer and Systems Engineering Computer Science Engineering

BAE Systems is a Top Employer

9.1/10

9.4

As a Software Engineer, you’ll create cutting edge software for hardware. You’ll be involved in the entire lifecycle of a product, from design and development to integration. As well as writing code, you’ll find yourself carrying out a whole range of important tasks – from communicating with clients and creating UML diagrams to assisting with final system integration. Work closely with both Electronic and Systems engineers, you'll enable the development of complex real-world systems that have to perform perfectly every time, as the consequences of failure could be catastrophic.

I thoroughly enjoyed my internship at all points. It was a constant learning curve where I was always being challenged and entertained.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at BAE Systems

My placement location was over 150 miles away from my friends and family. When I started at BAE Systems, I knew no one... I quickly made friends and was treated like family. Despite my lack of experience, I still felt like a valued member of the team and my work was appreciated at all times.

The support and guidance given to me by the management team was fantastic. I couldn't ask for more. When I needed help with certain work artefacts, that help was readily available at all times. Surprisingly, it wasn't just work related support and guidance that I was given...

Throughout the year there were times where I needed support and guidance for personal affairs. My line manager provided this.

Every working day was fast paced, exciting and challenging. At no point did I feel the work was too overwhelming or too easy. The management team set me an appropriate and reasonable level of work throughout the year.

I was given a lot of responsibility during my placement, far more than I expected. For example, I was responsible for developing tests to validate and verify certain aircraft systems. Furthermore, I was involved in the integration and training process for new Apprentices joining the team.
I also eventually became competent enough to be trusted in the technical review of the tests developed by other more experienced engineers.

Throughout the year I've been constantly amending my CV with new technical skills that I've acquired and learnt throughout my placement, that will without a doubt be attractive to future prospective employers. The skills I've developed and the training I've received this year will make my final year at university that little bit easier too. I feel ready to return to university and I feel a lot more confident.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at BAE Systems

Despite having endless amounts of work to do amongst the team, the general atmosphere was relaxed.

BAE Systems were clearly prepared. The work I was set throughout the year was constantly challenging and a never ending learning curve. It is important to note that at no point did I feel too overwhelmed by the work and at no point was I left struggling.

When it came to completing tasks that I was unexperienced doing, one-to-one support was given to me every time throughout the year. This ensured that I was constantly learning new things the whole way throughout the year and wasn't left struggling to figure things out completely by myself with no clue.

Future employment prospects within the organisation are very appealing. I hope to be able to join the Graduate Development Framework upon completion of my degree course. I would like to pursue a career with BAE Systems for sure.

There was only a few of us on placement and there were a dozen apprentices. Everyone got along well.

Cost of living and socialising was a lot cheaper than where I'm from (Essex).

There were a few nightclubs. I wouldn't say the nightlife was that great... I was in a small town.

There were many out of work clubs and activities to get involved in. For example: Football, Squash etc.