Analyst at Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Business Analytics

5.7/10

5.7
4.4

My placement at HPE was okay, nothing exactly special. It was work and an experience. There is a lot of negativity due to uncertainty of jobs, constant structural changes and large numbers of redundancies. There is also a clear north south divide within the company, with northern locations not getting as many benefits or being forgotten about (this includes northern interns). Managers were hit and miss, some are so helpful and supportive and others tended to forget about you or don’t support when needed. Intern roles varied massively, some having the benefits of seeing many areas of the company and developing and others of having a silo role with little impact. I would say its a lottery whether you get a good team/role.

My colleagues treated me as if I were a "proper" member of the team. Some would go out of their way to assist when you needed the support. Once you have more experience they would come speak to you when they had questions instead of your wider team, including you in discussions etc. Like any big company, you always have the ones who take issue with your lack of experience/being new. Additionally, I found a number of managers significantly undervalued there teams or weren’t there when needed.

Support from my people managers was tough. They were hardly around when you needed them, on some occasions it could take one over a month to action something. Both made me feel very undervalued, underappreciated and forgotten about. Other managers I found would support you when needed if you reached out. Like in any company, it really is down to luck whether you get a good manager or not. This goes for service managers, they tend to be work driven and demand rapid response, can be intimidating when you don’t have the experience.

I had more than one role during my internship. This was because of a lack of work. My first role was rather disorganized, they had no work set up for me. I had to constantly reach out which was frustrating. I was moved to a busier area in the end, this provided more day to day work and responsibility – sometimes to the other extreme where I was under great pressure and stress with multiple deadlines and demands. Several of the interns at this site were struggling for constant work however.

The responsibility is very good. HPE does trust you with a number of things. Our account required a form of security clearance, which in itself tells you the level of responsibility. From day one, you will see confidential information. The roles we took on in our location were real jobs, not ones made specifically for interns. These jobs could have been completed by an Apprentice, Graduate or FTEs. The work you carry out can be crucial to the customer or system.

There wasn’t much in the way of training, if any to be fair. Having said that, it was hard for permanent staff to get much in the way of training. From my perspective the roles I did gave me standard transferable skills such as time, organization, workload, pressure and even management etc. You also will get some technical understand of the system, but this wouldn’t help outside of the role. It has helped develop me going back to university, my work ethic has changed. But if I hadn’t done the placement I doubt this would have hindered my skills much.

The atmosphere at work is standard, unless something goes wrong then can be very stressed and tense. Depends on the banter you can have with the teams, which is great at our office. Bit dull over by the managers, and you might get told off for laughing, but apart from that you just build relationships with those around you and helps create a positive atmosphere.

Organization of the placement was relatively poor. There is no consistency between sites, some getting a much better experience than others. Having said this, the team on site are friendly and genuinely nice folk, but the overall organization was poor. Lack of a head planning or leaving things to the last minute, or constant rescheduling.

There is no training. They have these online videos for training on really boring and sometimes common sense things, but that is generally it. They make you do ITIL Foundation when you first start, which is good, and free! This is transferable and can be added to your CV. Apart from this, nothing else, no investment.

Due to constant redundancies, lack of new customers, outsourcing to cheaper locations and job freezes, future opportunities are very slim I would have said. Further from the splitting of HP, HPE is also spinning a part off with another company, with the on-look of further cut backs. To be offered to come back, you require a decent review score. This varies greatly on you managers view, and how strict there criteria is.

At our site, we had to organise most of the meet ups ourselves, despite initially it being said there would be company led outings. It was clear to see that Bracknell did have more outings than other sites, this is partly due to the support they receive and number of interns. Interns at our site got along well and we just did our own things.

Newcastle is very cheap place to start with. Good venues and cheap clubs etc. Good student area.

A number of opportunities, get 60 hours to volunteer a year. Volunteering is encouraged, with events held internally and work with charities.