Junior Operations Project Engineer at Air Products

Hersham South East
Chemical Engineering Mechanical Engineering

8.7/10

Good social life, challenging work experiences, opportunities always available, fantastic exposure to management and site experience

By the end of the year I was running my own project so definitely felt valued by colleagues

Support was there whenever I wanted it

Through the year my responsibilities grew and I became busier and busier

Given lots of responsibilities such as field work inspections, running projects, meeting contractors and customers

Greatly developed project management and soft skills. Improved technical training and understanding of processes.

It was an open plan office with a good atmosphere, everyone got on and was happy to answer any questions. Meeting rooms and 'break out' rooms always available to set up meetings with people. I attended quite a few team building meals and entertaining evenings. The highlights were the intercompany sports weekend (even though we lost the football!) and the Christmas do.

Pretty well organised, HR were good at introducing me to my supervisor and manager. I was also assigned a buddy for any personal questions or questions I didn't want to ask my manager. We set up placement objectives which were periodically reviewed and steered some of the focus for my workload. I also gave a final presentation to HR and management.

Initially I was given lots of online training modules specific to my role for the year. This gave me a very good insight to the company, processes and technology of the company. I also received classroom training provided internally by the company. I would say the greatest training and investment I received was the opportunities to travel and site experience I received during some very high profile project executions.

I would definitely come back on the graduate scheme, it ticks all of my boxes in terms of rotating assignments that I am able to choose and support with IMechE chartership. There is a encouraging strong history of placement students being asked to return to the graduate scheme. This is a fast track process so no need for an interview or assessment centre!

Yes there were 3 fellow placement year students and also 4 summer students. We hung out often at lunch and sat with all of the graduates. We had a council for all of the young developing engineers which I was asked to join. Regular social events throughout the year were provided in additional to my department events. I particular enjoyed going to the horse racing and nights out in London.

I commuted a long distance to work due to personal reasons so I actually saved a lot of money staying home with my parents. Otherwise the rent in this area of Surrey was around £500-700 per calendar month. Socialising was more expensive also around the outskirts of London, but was worth it. Especially when managers generously offer to pay for things.

In the small area where our office is based there is virtually no nightlife, a couple of pubs and restaurants but that's it. About a 5 min drive or one stop down the train line was much better. Around the outskirts of London it is very easy to get the train further in where nightlife is very good. Plenty of times we went into Wimbledon which was always a good night.

Yes as previously mentioned, I was involved on the young engineers council which gave me the opportunity to go to all of the social events which were even partly subsidised by the company. There is also an on site gym which is very handy. Many sports clubs are active over lunchtime and after work. The company attends a yearly intercompany sports weekend which is very good fun.