1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed very much.
Great work environment, fair and friendly. Good management structure. Loads opportunities to learn, and can do many cross-functional activities. One is encouraged to make mistakes and learn from them.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Colleagues are extremely helpful and they treat you equally. For example, Some jobs i did was equivalent for graduate, and I really feel the sense of achievement. Even through I make mistakes, I am not blamed but encouraged. Apart from that, very good managers, colleagues that allows you to develop your own interests and specializations. Very supportive. When I was preparing for my GRE (graduate record exam), I was very tight on time, and my manager gives full understanding and gives me not just holidays but also loads of suggestions on how to revise and encouraged me. The team is like a family.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Supports are generally available, provided it is true that people that are suitable to give trainings are very busy. However, people are friendly in a case that you ask for a training or support. It can be raised in a meeting or anytime with your team. The team together shares the workload to make sure the deliverable.
With respect to guidance, my teammates and manager all played professional roles in giving suggestions and critical trainings. They do not tell you what to do exactly, but set you an aim, and give technical support only necessary. The guidance is encouraging and protective.
Apart from professional area, I did great works in community projects. I have mentors and sponsor from the company to give guidance. We kept regular communications, and I get valuable advice and help from them to deliver projects, and reflect learnings.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It ranges from very busy to just about right. However, it sometimes depends on the individual. For example, if one is looking for a solution that is closer to being perfect, he will inevitably spend more time, while if one follows the established routine, it's likely to finish work all in time. Apart from this, there could be busy days, that you may need to stay till 6 or even later, but it's fair because you get chance to work at a deeper involvement and therefore, gain more.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Most of responsibilities are shared with my colleagues and me. However, I do feel responsible when I am supporting my team in many critical works. I know my colleague is the one who takes blame if missed deadline, but they trust me to let me finish the work. Most of works that are not critical, are more like developmental sense to me, projects of my own also boosts my confidence technically and socially.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
General atmosphere is good. Friendly and equal. Many challenges and new ideas.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It is overall very well organised, the induction took place smoothly. All training materials are well-made and help is always available.
One of coolest thing is that I get to use DELL precision M6800 from the first minute I joined till the end.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Great investments. At least two whole weeks training if accumulated. Many are catered in hotel. I also get training from people individually, the people can be my manager, some other teams leaders...
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing. Good working environment, nice team to work with and plus, well-paid.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes placement students do projects together and work as a team. Team meals, night-outs etc.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It was about fine for me. An average living cost would be around £110. Inc everything, living, food shopping, some travelings.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?