Test Systems Integration Engineer at Cummins

6.0/10

6.3
6.6

4.8

I supported the test cells on a regular basis, this was normally using a SCADA data acquisition system that Cummins housed internally. I also lead some important test cell improvement projects too.

The 12 months placement i had at Cummins was very enjoyable. Full of friendly faces, and generally a comfortable working environment.

When i started my placement i was assured that all placement students get treated like professional (full-time) staff here. Although i don't feel that this promise was fulfilled, there is still a great deal of respect for 'fresh university knowledge' when working here. You certainly wont feel undermined.

On a 12 month placement, the first 4-6 months is expected to be a transition period to get used to the role you are in. My manager gave me a great deal of support with the technical work i was involved in, and that goes with everyone in my department too!

At the start, i picked up a great deal of projects and had so much work to complete - it was great and i loved being busy! Now 10 months into my placement, the workload has died down significantly and i feel like i am just waiting for my handover period now. This will vary for anyone here though...

I have led some high capital projects, and since my technical/management, projects that would have otherwise been led by my experienced colleagues. Also, being in a supportive role, i was trusted to fix test cell issues that needed to be promptly addressed.

I have gained first-hand experience as a professional - something university will never be able to simulate.

I got on really well with my colleagues, the office that i worked in was away from all of the other big office blocks, and so we had a great laugh most days.

When joining i got a lot of projects that were handed over to me from the previous placement student, and where interest was gained, i picked up a lot of important projects throughout the year.

I took part in a lot of personal and safety training so that i follow safety practices and also to allow me to carryout certain work. When joining Cummins, all employee will get involved in manditory training days.

Regardless of how hard you work throughout the year, at the end of the day the chances of getting a full-time job comes down to whether the company feels you're an asset to the business and that they would benefit from your services or not. If you work hard, have a good attitude, build strong relationships (that's important), and enjoy the work you are involved in then you will have a good chance.

I became good friends with a lot of the placement students here. We went out in Northampton a good couple, but this will completely depend on how sociable you are and the bunch of students you are lucky to encounter during your placement here...

I lived at home, but i heard from other students that the cost of a room would be between £300-£400

Daventry (where the plant is), is right in the middle of some town/cities with some fairly decent clubs. Northampton and Leamington being two of them.

Every week or so i think Cummins' social club organised trips to go to different towns/cities around the UK, but i didnt get involved with that.