Applied Mechanics Engineer at Cummins

Daventry West Midlands
Automotive Design Electronics Energy Engineering Information Technology Manufacturing Mechanical Engineering

Cummins is a Top Employer

9.1/10

9.7

You’ll test and analyze engines and components for stress, strain, fatigue, noise and vibration.

Apply standard practices and techniques in specific situations, analyze and correlate data, recognize discrepancies in results and follow established procedures and operations to derive a solution or conclusion.

Vibration / dynamic analysis, strain data, strain gauging, fatigue testing, CFD (computational fluid dynamics), NVH (noise vibration harshness), ANSYS and lots of hands-on experience

I've Thoroughly enjoyed my time with Cummins, working in the Applied mechanics department has really broadened my engineering knowledge and I've had the opportunity to work along side some fantastic engineers.

My colleagues have been extremely helpful and always provide positive reinforcement when I complete my work.

Both my manager and mentor have given me a huge amount of guidance and support when it comes to the technical side of my role. They've provided their guidance in a way that benefits my own personal growth, I would try to get as far as possible independently and when I hit a wall they would give me a push in the right direction.

Always busy in the Applied mechanics, if at any point my project workload dropped I'd usually be in the Lab improving processes, building my knowledge or helping other members of the team with heavy workloads.

At the beginning of my placement I was given time to settle into the department and get to know everyone. This involved assisting the other members of my team with their projects and basically learning the ropes. My level of responsibility quickly rose after the first few weeks and I was given my own projects to complete, as my confidence grew so did my workload and after six months I was working independently on multiple projects at a time.

The skills I've developed during my time at Cummins will assist me greatly in my future endeavors. Having a technical role has improved my report writing, problem solving and presentation abilities.

Busy atmosphere, plenty of banter throughout the day. Everyone looks out for each other with a real sense comradery.

Really well organised from day one. The HR department setup a facebook group to connect with other placement students before our start date, this enabled everyone to sort out living arrangements and make some friends. Reviews every 3 months to see how we were getting on, plenty of training provided and good communication throughout.

I had a lot of training due to the technical nature of my role this involved going off site a few times, to list a few:
- Team Based Work Systems training
- Diversity Training
- Various Heath and Safety training sessions
- Crane Training
- Working at heights
- Siemems PLM/Testlab
- Creo
- and many more.

Very appealing, Cummins invest a lot in engineers and I can certainly see myself having a future here.

I lived with 5 other Irish placement students in Northampton so we had a blast outside of work. We met up with the other students a few times a month for nights out/cinema etc.

Fairly cheap in Northampton, I hear its a bit more expensive in Daventry though.

The plant was in Daventry which is pretty woeful for nights out but we lived in Northampton which had a few good pubs/clubs.

The social committee organise events all the time such as go karting, 5-a-side, bus trips etc.