Technical Service Intern
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Honestly the best company and the best Internship I've ever made.
I have a lot of different tasks, I am able to improve myself and get into the business as well.
So the internship is:
and the team is very friendly and cool too.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Like I mentioned previously the colleagues are absolutely friendly and accepted me as a full part of the team within the first days.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The tasks vary, which is quite interesting because it never becomes boring.
If I need help, all the managers in my department are reachable and help me as soon as possible.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had ofc a few days which were not that busy in the begining of my Internship.
But at the current time I have a lot of things going on and it's awesome because the time runs fast.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Some tasks are ofc not manageble for an intern, like talking to customers or have a sales conversation, because of the amount of money which is part of that.
But I didn't expect that so I have my projects to do and during that project time I have the full responsibility. That is challenging but I like that and it is interesting as well.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
In my degree studies unfortunately not that big because I already wrote all the exams like informatics or project management. But I think the way of organising myself and facing problems and projects will change or has already changed a bit. So I know that I am a lot better organised now and I learned uncomparable things for leading a team by my manager and the way he is handeling it.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Sometimes i even like to stay longer even If I don't have to because I want to finish that task. We also meet each other sometimes after work in a pup to talk and have a drink.
It is a really nice atmosphere and the people here are friendly and funny as well.
Maybe it is also because I am very extrovert so it makes things a lot easier. But I think even if I would be quiet the colleagues would try to involve me into the conversations.
At the beginning it was quite hard to understand everything because I am from Germany and not used to the speed of the language or the accent. But they repeaded the sentences even 3 or 4 times without getting annoyed. So they understood the struggle very well and helped me to get used to the language.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Unfortunately I got my contract just 2 weeks before I started and that made some things a bit complicated e.g. my flat in Karlsruhe had to be rent and I had to find an accomodation over here. It would be nice to have a special support for students from abroad to help them with finding an accomodation. But I was allowed to stay at a colleagues house the first week until I had the chance to move in an own apartment. So things became organised and finally everything is going well.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I never had a programming language like Visual Basic in Excel before. To be honest Excel was a tool I used 3 years ago because I had to learn it in School. But now I feel like I really got into that program and it is fascinating what options you have and how easier the daily work could be with a little program. So my manager helped me to understand Visual Basic for Applications because he is also really good in it. And thanks to Thomas Menker I am now writing little programs for my team and got a new nickname called macro-marco.
It is just outstanding here and if I could I would extend the internship. But unfortunately in october the uni continues and I have to study again. But I will definitely return to Rolls-Royce, if I will have the chance again.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I will definitely return if I will get the chance!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yeah we met each other on a weekly football match every Tuesday in Bognor Regis which is/was a great chance to met the other colleagues and get to know the other interns better. Because I am in the TLC there are unfortunately not that much interns in this building.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
about 1000£+ each month, so the salary was enough to live within rent, deposit, food, and a few nights going out.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Unfortunatley Bognor Regis is not that known for its nightlife but we have been to Portsmouth which was marvellous
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yeah there are several football teams in Bognor and in Chichester within Rolls-Royce and other activities as well like e.g. basketball...