1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my placement a lot. First of all because it is in another town, another country with another culture, but also because BMW as a company helped me to discover my skills and my passion.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
a lot! My colleagues were always very helpful and I made even friends.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I could have get a little bit more support in the beginning and later onwards when I started the project I would have like to get a introduction in the topic as I had no idea about it, but on the other handside I've grown in it.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
there are weeks I was really busy as we had to stick to a timeline and other weeks were not too busy so i could concentrate on other things. But all in all it was a good balance.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given the task to lead a project and to build up a little project team within different departments.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
every bad or good situation I had in this placement will help me in my future. How to solve problems without getting frustrated directly, how to manage things, how to be a part of a team...
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
We had loads of fun. My colleagues and I, we always played a little prank at each other that helped us to survive some of the long days. For my birthday my whole table was full of sweets and Birthday cards, I got a present - it was amazing !!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
In the beginning I had nothing to do for around 2 weeks - the worst days of my placement. It was very boring. I had nothing to do as our HR department lost my contract, so I couldnt get access to the computer. I have heard from other Interns that some of their contract got lost as well - maybe that would be something to change.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I didn't get any training.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I'm really interested in staying with BMW and my manager is also interested, but we still have to sort out if it is possible.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
YES! we've got every thursday an interns meeting in a pub and with my team we spend some nice evenings. Soon we will go camping all together for a weekend.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
costs are HUGE !! living in oxford is very expensive...
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Oxford is not as big as london. If you like partying in a big city you're not at the right place. Oxford has some clubs and loads of pubs everywhere - it is awesome as you can just go home and don't have to take 3 buses or an expensive taxi. You always meet up with people in the city even if you didn't arrange to see them - thats great!!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
yes, a lot! I'm going beginning of July to a mountain challenge to lake district. We will be camping and then hike in the mountains. That was all organised by BMW. That's one as an example...