1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
A great atmosphere for students to experience life in industry.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
From the first day of my placement, they made me feel very welcome. Daily banter, coffees in the canteen, support with projects, etc.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisors were very supportive and guided me throughout my placement. They catered to my every need.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Due to the enormous scale of my project, I was always busy. If I had nothing to do, I would be proactive and ask for more responsibilities.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a big project to work on. This let me work with different departments and colleagues of various levels of experience. I didn't expect the company would trust an intern to be able to contact suppliers and make decisions on choosing suppliers for parts.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Apart from soft skills like IT softwares such as Microstation (3D CAD), Excel, SAP, etc I got plenty of opportunity to get hands on in the workshop. I learnt to manually operate a robot. Enough said!
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Some days would be busy so we would give each other the privacy to concentrate
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Pretty well organised. Tasks were delegated as soon as I joined in. I was inducted with company procedures, training, departments,etc. Although my work overalls took 6 months to arrive which was annoying.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I had plenty of training including robot operation, Microstation (3D CAD), hands on working with weld guns, orientation with different departments, etc.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I haven't had that discussion yet with my managers.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The interns met at different pubs each Thursday and communicated plans via a whatsapp group.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Pretty steep. Oxford is an expensive place to live in almost as much as london.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Not into much partying to be honest. But I hear its pretty good being a student town.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?