IT intern at GE (General Electric)

Cheltenham West Midlands
Information Technology

7.3/10

6.0

I really enjoyed my placement at GE, the range of projects I was able to work on was great. Going into GE your options are wide open, so if you would like to work on something have that discussion with your manager.

I felt really valued by my colleagues, I was working on one project where I was requested for an extra couple weeks as they thought they needed my skills on their project for a while longer.

My manager and I had regular 1-1 meetings on a weekly basis to discuss where I was, if I had any challenges or if I needed any support either with my projects or in general.

I always had something to do, if I didn't I would generally go out and find some work or ask my manager for some work.

There were times I was given a lot of responsibility but time where I sat back, I felt like this was the right mix as coming in straight from university for me was a big change.

I have achieved a lot of valuable life skills, technical and interpersonal. GE really believe in there employees and want them to succeed. I learned about new techniques and putting into practice things learn at university.

Great friendly atmosphere I always had someone to talk to whilst still being in a productive work environment, at times it may of been more demanding but you are supported throughout.

Quiet well organized, the first few weeks I wasn't doing a great deal and there were problems with my setup, however once these were sorted it has been relatively well organized.

I was given regular personal development training, ways I could improve as well as learning about techniques and new methods in my field.

My placement has a graduate scheme which follows it, and although there will be competition for that role it would be great to come back as I will be able to work on bigger and better projects and have more responsibility.

Yes! There are a few placment students throughout my site, and then we also go out with the graduate scheme people meaning a lot of U25s having a fun time, whether it be games night, or down the pub watching the football theres usually something.

I'd say it was average, like anywhere you can do it cheap or you can do it expensively, its just about knowing where to go.

The nightlife was okay, not the best I have experienced but good enough to have a fun time.

There may of been but I didn't get greatly involved with it all.