Management of customer sites and improvement projects at the plant.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my placement to a great extent because it was a big challenge entering the workplace. I also really enjoyed my placement because all the staff were really friendly and made me feel welcome. There was lots of opportunities to improve my professional skills as well as expand upon knowledge already learnt through university.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued by my colleagues to a great extent. This is because, as stated above everyone was really friendly and welcoming when I started. This was further shown by the amount of responsibility that I was given, because it was quite clear that everyone trusted me enough to do a good job.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given support and guidance by management (Human Resources) by giving me the opportunity to develop my presentation and public speaking skills and regular meetings to discuss my progress. I was also given support and guidance by my supervisor in the form of regular feedback to let me know what I was doing well and where I can improve.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
On a daily basis I was relatively busy because I had an improvement project on the site which I was the project manager for, so a lot of time was spent ensuring that the project was moving along according to plan. However other areas of my job role weren’t so consistent due to the emergency nature of the business.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a rather large amount of responsibility whilst on my placement. This was largely a result of being the project manager for an improvement project on the site. Alongside this I was also responsible for 3 customer facing jobs, and because they were customer facing I had a lot of responsibility to ensure everything was done correctly.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills which I have developed whilst on my placement and the training that I have received will largely assist me in the remainder of my degree studies and in my future career because I have gained skills which aren’t widely taught in a degree and I have also developed on skills gained during the first years of my degree.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere in the office was very good. Everyone was very welcoming and extremely friendly and overall it is a very pleasant place to work. Everybody seems to get on very well and this makes for a workplace where everyone helps each other out which makes it a nice place to work.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The overall work placement was very well organised. I was given a thorough hand over from the previous placement student for approximately two weeks to ensure that I knew what was expected of me. Once settled in I was given my major task for the year. This organisation worked really well.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company invested a lot of time and effort in terms of my personal training and development whilst on the placement. This was largely due to a week of solid training on the equipment which we supply to customers by experts in the industry and the extensive amount of personal development tools and opportunities to develop on personal professional goals.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employment prospects with the company are very appealing to me because there are several different graduate schemes which allow for rotations in different functions and different countries. This allows for some travelling to be done and the correct job role to be chosen to best meet my skill set and improve on areas I perhaps lack in.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?