Roles included overseeing calibration and designing tools to aid the design and manufacture of GE tools as well as other related activities.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
There were times I did not enjoy it as I was pushed out of my comfort zone but that is great for development. On the whole I enjoyed my time.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The site was large and so I stayed a stranger to some people as I didn't venture to every room and section of the building but to the people I knew and worked with I felt very valued.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given strong support and guidance at the beginning and it was there throughout my placement, with help on hand even towards the end when I knew what I was doing even though I preferred not seeking any help!
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was extremely busy on a daily basis. I have heard from friends how they had to fill a lot of their time at their placements but I just did not have this, I was kept so busy that I had some tasks left at the end of the year that I was given at the start! All in all it kept the days moving fast and I wasn't pushed so much it became a strain.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given very large responsibilities in running the calibration system which even involved me being audited by an external auditor in my time on placement so I guess I was given some pretty important jobs.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learnt a lot of valuable skills and if more than anything developed a great work ethic here but its hard not to in such a focussed environment.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in my office changed from concentrated silence at times, to debates about the EU referendum as well as fun and jokes. Plus there was almost always cakes brought in by someone so I guess that's not all too bad either!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The work placement for me was very organised as I had a weekly meeting with my supervisors to discuss the work I had on-going, what I had done the previous week and what the priorities were going forward so it was structured well.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company did not send me on any training courses. However I was provided with everything I needed for my role and was even supplied with some informational packs to help me with my engineering drawings.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would view them highly and definitely consider working at GE again in the future.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I was commuting from home and so although there were a few other interns I never saw them outside of hours, we often went for lunch together though.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I worked in Farnborough which is a very expensive area to live unfortunately, for that reason I commuted 100 miles a day which wasn't ideal!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I did not live around my place of work so I am not sure on this one.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I did not live around my place of work so I am not sure on this one, however I did attend a nice gym in town 4 days a week before work.